1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

premade coops for sale?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chrizjen, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have looked in the coop section and have seen some really great coops but most of the ones that I find I can't find a good place on the internet to buy one. Does anyone know of a particularly good site? I am looking to house 5 chickens and have a run for the five of them.

2. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    I am building my chicken tractor for a maximum of 6 standard size chickens the coop is 4'x6' and my run is ~11'x6' check my page for pictures (I'm still building).
    As (often) stated here, one of the most expensive supplies you can rarely find as salvage is the wire mesh \\ hardware cloth.

If you have a feed store near you, might try asking there... maybe they know of a local company or just someone selling their used coop.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Pet Chicken sells them. I'm certain there are others who advertise on this site as well.

4. Woodcutterron

Woodcutterron Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    West Point .
    The trick is that shipping'll kill ya. That's why I don't even bother trying to sell mine other than locally.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I don't know if you have a Big R there but you should have a Tractor Supply store... They both sell the little coops for chickens/rabbits that would easily work for you. Approx. 125.00 plus for them. I saw one recently on sale for 99.00.
    They also have the wooden redwood dog houses that could be modified. Try checking them out on line.... I know Tractor Supply will do ship to store and free shipping.. I get e-mails from them with 10 % discount offers alot since I signed up for their newsletters.....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...t/ware-manufacturing-hd-chick-n-hutch-2100173

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    My problem with every single prebuilt coop I've ever seen is that they seem to me to have some design flaws. I've yet to see a prebuilt coop that is properly ventilated. And most of them are designed so that it would be difficult to clean them out. These are the best designed ones I've seen so far:

http://www.ezcleancoops.com/

Have you considered looking for a local builder who will build something to your specifications? That's what I just did, and I'm thrilled. I got exactly what I wanted (my own design), it was no more expensive than buying a prebuilt coop, the quality of the materials was superior (I specified what I wanted here, too), and the workmanship was excellent. I found my builder by asking around in our local poultry group for references.

I've built my own coops, too, and that's always an option. However, this time I wanted a shed size coop and that was bigger than I felt comfortable tackling on my own, with my limited construction experience and no power tools.

7. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Hi,

You can check out my site. The link is on the bottom. I usually include delivery and do a lot of stuff on the east coast and about 200 miles out, but I could work up a price for you. I have shippers that travel all over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by