Premade vs. My own

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by polloamante, Apr 19, 2012.

1. polloamante

polloamante Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Ok, so when my new chicks grow up I will have thirteen chickens, they will need a bigger coop. There is no question if a new coop is coming its just what to do, I'm not sure if a pre-made coop from mypetchicken, which is beautiful and can have many add ons, is worth the roughly $1,455-1,745, or should i just make my own, now normally i would just make it because thats just in my character, so I am wondering, with all the materials, effort and time which one will serve me the best i would really like some opinions, the ones online i can have electricity and automatic coop doors. I'm just on the fence, i would like the cheapest solution but i also want what is best for my ladies and what will look, function, and last me the best.

Thank you

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hands down, making your own is going to be cheaper. The pre-fab coops include the cost of materials, the labor and the shipping. If you build it yourself you only have the cost of materials and your own time.

3. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I agree with HEChicken, build is cheaper although you can check craigslist and/or classifieds to find used ones, which will save you alot of money. I got my coop for a $100 and it came with a feeder, waterer and a bag of bedding. I used my "saved" money and time to build add-ons and upgrades to it as well as to build the run. Just an idea.....Good luck with whatever you choose.

4. jrsckn

jrsckn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Mid-Michigan
    We got an 8X8 shed kit from Lowes for $599, everything is precut and primed, all you need to do is assemble and customize to your liking. The only thing it doesn't come with is shingles so thats another $60. I do have to admit it was difficult cutting the holes for the vents in a brand new $600 shed though lol.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've considered going the pre-cut shed route too, but generally they come with either no or only 1 window. By the time I modify it to my specs by adding windows and ventilation, and externally accessible nest boxes, the price starts to add up. I still think, if you have the building skills, doing it yourself will be cheaper. Or, as a PP said lookout for them on CL. I got my first coop for free off freecycle. I still have it and use it as my broody/hospital/chick coop & pen.

6. ChickaChickaWow

ChickaChickaWow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    My Coop
    We have about $750 into ours and I think we may have went a little overboard (first time and got a little excited.. LOL). If I built another one, I could probably do it for $550 - $600. The biggest thing I would do different would be to make it permanent by burying 4x4 pressure treated posts with some concrete. I added a ton of cost trying to make it 'semi-moveable'. I wasnt trying to make a 'chicken tractor', just something that I could move with a real tractor if the wife changes her mind where she wants it... the only way it's going to move now is with a bulldozer... LOL

[​IMG]

7. jrsckn

jrsckn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Mid-Michigan
    I agree, it does add up quickly, I think 1 window kit is $80. We were going to build our own but dh and I had our own ideas and couldn't get them to mesh to we took the easy way out which meant no fighting lol

We looked on craigs list for quite a while but with TSC's chick days it was flooded with people who got chicks and didn't think ahead and were begging for spare wood and such. I think by next year I'll build a few tractors and post them up to those poor people to buy lol

8. polloamante

polloamante Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Thank you guys i think ill build it but i just need some help thanks so much! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by