Premature egg

Patti3chics

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
Hi there. My little girls have finally started laying-2 eggs so far!! First one a double yolker! Sorry in advance for the gross pic but I have no idea what this is. I’m thinking an egg that the shell didnt form properly. One of my girls was running around with it🤮. It’s like a sack with goopy stuff inside but it’s intact-hope that makes sense I’m hoping it’s not a part of the hen. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you would like a better pic of the inside.
BBFC3ACE-C48C-46B5-90E9-A7385C0E2B60.jpeg

CNJ

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
I have kind of the same problem, my young hens started laying soft round eggs. I don't know why, but they stop eating the layer pellets, and 30% protein crumble. They will only eat two way scratch (crack corn and wheat grain) and mediated chick starter.

Patti3chics

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
Hi there. My little girls have finally started laying-2 eggs so far!! First one a double yolker! Sorry in advance for the gross pic but I have no idea what this is. I’m thinking an egg that the shell didnt form properly. One of my girls was running around with it🤮. It’s like a sack with goopy stuff inside but it’s intact-hope that makes sense I’m hoping it’s not a part of the hen. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you would like a better pic of the inside.
View attachment 2427237
3809B489-3090-4A78-A906-9706EFAD905E.jpeg

ackie

previously jwehl // dogs & cats & squirrels oh my!
Nov 3, 2020
Atlanta GA
I have kind of the same problem, my young hens started laying soft round eggs. I don't know why, but they stop eating the layer pellets, and 30% protein crumble. They will only eat two way scratch (crack corn and wheat grain) and mediated chick starter.
Chick starter is fine for them. Offer free-choice oyster shell on the side for the calcium and ditch the scratch. IMO its okay for treats but not a solid nutrition source.

Patti3chics

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
Your hens must be 6 months old or older for that size eggs.
They are only 20 wks. I got them as day olds. I was shocked too. However the other eggs, since the first, are like medium sized. Still big from what I’ve seen. Must be the awesome treats they get every few days 😁. Or they love me...one of the two😂

Top Bottom