premature gosling-looking for advice, picture added

krista92

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2011
I have a gosling that hatched early. Everything during the hatching process was very accelerated. I had my first gosling that hatched 5 days ago with no problems and he took nearly 3 days to go through the entire process. This one barely took a day. I know my humidity wasn't high enough because where he externally pipped, he kind of got shrink wrapped in there. It moved in there and tore at the membrane to the point where he made the vessels bleed. He came out about 11 this morning without having absorbed all the yoke. I'm guessing that where he was supposed to be absorbing the yolk is what is distended and red. There's a little bit of what I assume to be yolk sticking out. He's livening up, talks to me and my other gosling, and will drink water. I'm not sure if it will just go away on its own or if it's a more serious problem. I'm a little worried to be honest, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The picture was taken with my phone so its not the best quality or anything.

90141_227776_1966754690831_1301840413_2269021_6098614_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a photo would help, but based on your written description, it doesn't sound too serious. Just be sure that the gosling is kept on a soft, padded, non-slip surface, no sharp wire or anything else that could puncture the egg sack and unabsorbed navel and make the bird bleed out.

When I have them hatch this way, I dust the navel/yolk sack with styptic powder and tetracycline powder twice a day for a couple of days -- I think this helps to speed drying up and healing.

If he's eating, drinking, moving around, and othewise normal, not a big deal, in a week you'll never know the difference.

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I don't have any of that on hand and its too late to go pick some up tonight but tomorrow I definitely will. Sounds like that's something that's good to have on hand.

I'll try and post a picture just to be on the safe side. It might take a few minutes to get it uploaded and on here.

I had one hatch last Tuesday that was worse than that as far as unabsorbed yolk. I kept her separate and on a soft surface so the sac wouldnt tear. I kept tiny pieces of clover and grass as well as moistened crumbles in there for her since I wasnt sure if the unabsorbed yolk would mean that she would be undernourished. She is now a week old and she chases me all over the yard when I bring her out and yells her head off if I am out of sight. I'm hoping that she'll get to be buddies with the others soon and not be so attached to me. She's a handful, but I am thankful that my sweet Nola survived. Just keep an eye on your little one and she should do fine. The yolk took a few days to absorb. Even now she has a tiny bump on her belly, but I'm sure it'll be gone soon. Good luck and I hope your new baby makes it through.

Aw, goslings are so much fun. Two of my adult geese imprinted on me as goslings and my first gosling that hatched out doesn't think there's anyway she can get close enough to me. This new one seems to have taken a liking to the first gosling though. More than likely its because it heard her screaming for me constantly since the incubator and my little brooder box are in the same room together.
smile.png
Thanks though, I'm really glad this happens and they can still survive.

My sebbie got it's egg crushed by it's momma stepping on it after it pipped(at least I think that is what happened-I know she left the nest to eat) and then it looked like she nibbled on the egg some. Anyway I checked her before I went to bed to make sure everything was going okay and found it. It was no where near ready to hatch, but all that was left on it was a membrane and a couple of pieces of shell. I put it in the 'bator and moistened the membrane every couple of hours until there was no more blood. Then I peeled the membrane off and basically left it alone, other than quietly checking on it every few hours! About 36 hours later it was running and chirping it's little head off. It is now with the rest and definately one of the friendliest!

You can use regular antibiotic ointment for the navel, just be sure it does not have a pain medication in it as well. The biggest worry is an infection, otherwise the baby should be fine.

Most of the time, it is really cute that they imprinted. Right now... I'm wondering about hearing loss and ears bleeding from the high-pitched screeching
smile.png
I really hope they go to sleep soon. My next project is definitely an outdoor brooder. I have another hatching out soon. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll wait until morning.

I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay. That must have been a lot of work. I'm thinking I'm gonna use a q-tip or something to dab warm water on the little bit that's still hanging out of the naval to keep it moist. I had it laying on a damp towel in the incubator to keep it moist earlier. Sebbies are cool though. I have a Roman Tufted gander and a white Chinese goose right now but hopefully I'll get my hands on a sebbie eventually. The gosling is one of theirs but since she's barely a year old and showing no signs of going broody, I decided to incubate some of her eggs. The first four eggs I found were actually frozen so I was quite surprised when one hatched so successfully. Guess I can't always get lucky though.

I've seen him picking at the moistened crumbles I put in the box for him and he's able to hold his head up even better than before. Thanks for the advice Shelley! I'll definitely start on the antibiotic ointment tonight.

But I know exactly what you mean Alas! I think I'm finally starting to tune it out though. Of course, I've gotten so used to it that sometimes when I leave the house I think I hear them only to realize that they're not there!

Last edited:
Oh man, my first gosling was 1 day premature and ripped herself off her yolk and out of her shell within just a few hours of pipping.
She looked a lot worse than that! I think you will be just fine.

Keep baby on a soft surface, apply an antibiotic ointment (I used Vetericyn) and dab some stypitic power over that if need be. Reapply with every 3 or so hours.
Supplement the gosling with Gatorade and watered down, mashed up feed.

Good luck!

My girl survived and is now thriving in her new home. When she hatched, we thought she was going to die.
Don't give up, I am sure you'll be alright.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom