Premier-1 Poultry Fencing - WARNING

Pics

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
I am going to start off by saying that I love Premier-1 poultry products.

This is a warning to all homesteaders that use this type of netting.

I had two chickens get tangled up in the netting just today. Many in the past as well.
One of them would have died if I hadn’t got
her free in time. The other one had her leg stuck.

9F494564-6D59-4086-B669-78115FCDC777.jpeg
D1627A59-A5E7-421F-992B-E0C0410601B1.jpeg

I took these photos after attempting to free her. It was no use. I tried pushing her through, and pulling her out but it wouldn’t work. Was about 5 minutes of me trying to free her with my hands.
Then I ran to get a pair of kitchen shearers. I had to cut the fencing to free her. She was dazed for a bit afterwards, but she is now running around and has no injuries that I can notice.
4B032DE6-80AF-470A-83AE-3C42472BC257.jpeg

Just as I was cutting the fencing… I heard another chicken screeching close by. Another chicken stuck in the netting.

39CDF447-11C5-4449-B6FB-213528557544.jpeg

It is completely my fault that there is fencing laying around.
This time it was just her leg. I didn’t have to cut any fencing.

ABC1396B-2E0E-476F-9BA8-D8166BDB73F9.jpeg

Some of the chickens like to fly over the fence. I have clipped their wings multiple times but they have grown back so I am going to clip again.

If you have this type of netting, it is very crucial that you charge it to be electric!
This type of fencing is supposed to be electric but we have not gotten to that yet.

Just a warning to all y’all. I don’t want anything like this happening to someone else.

Ways to prevent this is to clip your chickens’ wings regularly and make your fencing electric.

I've never had one get that badly stuck, but in addition to keeping the charger on I also keep the fence pulled as tightly as I possibly can -- minimizing the amount of slack.

Smaller chickens do try to squeeze through the openings sometimes, but with the fence taught they usually either wiggle through or bounce back.

When I have chicks in the run I make a chick-tight inner curtain with plastic mesh. It's not perfect, but it contains them most of the time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-tight-inner-curtain.1500002/#post-25069571

It says right on the Premier1 website that this can happen without electrification. This is a great product, when used as intended. Also, leaving a big net on the ground will probably catch something! Not exactly fair to warn against a product when in both instances, you were not using it as instructed.

Glad your birds are okay! Sucks you had to cut the net.

I've never had one get that badly stuck, but in addition to keeping the charger on I also keep the fence pulled as tightly as I possibly can -- minimizing the amount of slack.

Smaller chickens do try to squeeze through the openings sometimes, but with the fence taught they usually either wiggle through or bounce back.

When I have chicks in the run I make a chick-tight inner curtain with plastic mesh. It's not perfect, but it contains them most of the time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-tight-inner-curtain.1500002/#post-25069571
Thanks for your response.

Does the electricity prevent the chickens from getting close to the netting?

I do the same exact thing in my run! Works perfectly for me :).

It says right on the Premier1 website that this can happen without electrification. This is a great product, when used as intended. Also, leaving a big net on the ground will probably catch something! Not exactly fair to warn against a product when in both instances, you were not using it as instructed.

Glad your birds are okay! Sucks you had to cut the net.
Thanks.
I have already said I know this is my fault. Just thought I‘d give others a warning in case other poultry owners don’t already have electric voltage connected to the fencing.

Last edited:
Does the electricity prevent the chickens from getting close to the netting?

To an extent. Once they've gotten their sensitive beaks zapped a few times they give the fence some room. But their thick feathers do insulate them from shocks if they're not contacting it with more sensitive parts.

Is it possible that I melt the plastic together? Or would that mess up the electric wires running through?

No, it's repaired by tying the special, metal-and-plastic twine together.

Premier1 has fabulous customer service. I'm sure that if you contact them they'll explain it for you.

Back
Top Bottom