Premier Electric Fencing Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IllinoisRob, Apr 23, 2009.

1. IllinoisRob

IllinoisRob New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    Does anyone use the Premier "PermaNet" designed for sheep and cattle also for poultry? The difference in design between the netting for cattle and sheep versus that for chickens is the spacing of the electrified strands (smaller for poultry) but there is a large price difference per linear foot. I can buy 150 feet for $179.00 designed for cattle and sheep versus only 100 feet for $158 designed for poultry. I was just wondering if I can get away with using the PermaNet designed for sheep and cattle also for chickens (layers). I could use the poultry netting for the poultry, sheep and cattle but again, much more expensive per linear foot if I go for the poultry netting. Ideally, whichever netting I go with I would like to leave in place and rotationally follow the cattle and sheep with my chickens. I would like to avoid changing out the netting for each use. I have read all the strings relating to Premier on this website but have not seen this question raised. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Talk with Jeff at Brunty Farms on here.He may be able to give you advise.He just bought some awhile back.I have been thinking of tryin some too. Check with Jeff.He hangs in the meat bird section. welcome to BYC Wil

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I haven't used the types of nettings you are looking at, so take my opinion any way you like, it won't hurt my feelings. I use electric twine around my coops for preditor deterrence. I've found that since the chickens don't always recieve a shock (feather insulation) from the twine. So, they haven't learned to respect it and don't keep their distance. The same chickens get zapped, time after time. I think, that if the netting you are planning to use has openings that a chicken thinks (sometimes I wonder if they do think) it might have a chance of getting through, they'll try it. Their feather insulation may make it possible for them to get through without any zap.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The bigger the holes, the more likely a chicken is to try to get out -- thus, not only will you have more escapees, you will also have a greater chance of a chicken getting stuck in the fence and zapped to death.

I don't think i'd be inclined to do it myself, but I'm a softie and I can see if you look at it from more of an economical viewpoint the extra (smallish) risk might be acceptible for some purposes.

Good luck,

Pat

5. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I use the Premier net designed for poultry with good results. When I had young pullets in the fence some of then walked right through because they were just small enough to do so, but they quickly grew past that point and all stay put as adults. I would stick with the poultry sized product for that reason.

By the way, I love the fence!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by