Premier heating plate too hot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BluebirdHomestead, Nov 12, 2019.

1. BluebirdHomestead

BluebirdHomestead Songster

Oct 13, 2019
    Longmont, CO
    68B1DF2D-454C-44C7-822C-5A6B9B387E78.jpeg So I have been debating between the brisnea and the premier heating plate. I ended up getting the 12 x 12 premier one. It just came in and wow that sucker gets hot. Is that normal or is mine defective? I can only hold my hand on it for a little bit before it burns. I’m freaking out.

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There have been complaints about these hot plates before. Naturally, the top will probably be hotter than the underside, but chicks also climb on the thing, being chicks. Chick feet are very delicate and blister easily.

I use the heating pad method of brooder heat, but even heating pads can burn. The secret to making any heated surface less likely to burn tissue is to diffuse the heat with a fabric covering. In fact, heating pads have a warning on them never to use without the fabric cover.

This leads me to ponder why heat plates don't also have a fabric cover.

Skin burns at 109.4F to176F. Put a thermometer on the surfaces of your heat plate. If it reads over 108F, I would return it.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    YES! I posted a thread here fairly recently about this problem..
    A friend has that size, and it's fine. My larger one is too hot too; I set it up with a thermometer and it was 120F, way too warm.
    They offered to take it back said this is 'normal' for them, and the manufacturer, in the EU, seems to be unreachable, at least by me.
    Premier sent me one of their $12 temperature regulators for it, and that makes it work just fine. I'm not pleased either, although I'm keeping the unit and plan to use it with the regulator.
    Don't use it at 120F! I had a couple of dead chicks, which may or may not have been because of this issue.
    Mary

4. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    When I checked the temp, I turned the plate upside down and had the thermometer right on the surface that would contact the chick's backs, as the directions recommend it be used. No way, at 120F!!!
    Mary

5. BluebirdHomestead

Oct 13, 2019
    Longmont, CO
    Oh this thing is definitely hotter than 108F. It’s way too hot. Sigh. Definitely returning.
    The top isn’t hot, and has a cover so they can’t stand on it, but it would definitely scorch their fluff on their backs if they got under it and pushed up against it. :(

ValerieJ and azygous like this.
  6. BluebirdHomestead

Oct 13, 2019
    Longmont, CO
    Thanks for chiming in. I had actually seen your post and almost heeded your warning but I’d seen posts saying their hadn’t been issues with the smaller 12x12 ones, only the bigger ones, but alas.
    I believe mine is at least at 120°. It burns my hand after just moment.

ValerieJ and azygous like this.
  7. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Mine is the same brand as yours, and is the larger 12’x18’ size. The plate on the bottom is very hot around the middle point, and gets cooler towards the edges. When I touched a thermometer to the middle, it was a very high number too. However, I’ve used it for several batches of chicks, and it’s all been good. They hang out in the middle when really young, but hang out around the edges as feathers come in. They choose to press up against up against it if needed. If it’s too hot, they will move. Their fluff and feathers provide insulation from the direct heat when they press up against it. When we had a large batch of various breeds of chicks, we had to adjust one side higher than the other so the larger and smaller chicks could use the plate appropriately.

We really like ours quite a bit! Enjoy your chicks!!

ValerieJ and BluebirdHomestead like this.
  8. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Mine is 120F in the center, down to 118F near the edges. Ridiculous!
    With the added temp controller, it's just fine.
    Mary

9. BluebirdHomestead

Oct 13, 2019
    Longmont, CO
    Question: would any light dimmer cord work to lower the temp a bit or does it have to be the premier one?

ValerieJ and Lizzy733 like this.
  10. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    No idea. You could try asking Premier, but who knows?
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: