Premier Perma Net around the coop?

Yardbirds286

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Western Mass
Instead of building a run attached to our coop, we want use the Perma Net in a wide circle around the coop. Inside the fence there are shade trees, and sunny spots and covered areas. Our coop is raised off the ground about 2 feet, built of plywood, and reinforced with welded wire. It would give our eight girls a lot more room to roam. It would also be movable if need be. Has anyone used this year round? They are supposed to with stand snow and ice, and we do have moderate winters here. Looking for info/opinions on using this for their yard.

You won't want to do that.

1) it "withstands" snow and ice in the sense of "not being destroyed by". However snow and ice will still flatten the fence while they're there, so that it is not a meaningful fence during those times. Wet snow or ice can also ground the fence out, so that it is no longer electrified (and will KILL the battery of your fencer, unless you're using a plug-in unit)

2) unless you get the more expensive pos-neg fencing, it won't work well (potentially not at all) in snowy conditions or significantly frozen ground.

3) I would strongly not suggest using it as your main defense against predators. First, because all electric fence fails *sometimes*, and predators can be pretty quick to notice; and secondly because it is only a "sorta" defense anyhow, not really all that comprehensive or totally-protective. It works best for rotational grazing, or for rough protection vs dogs/coyotes in an area that is ALSO protected by OTHER means as well (permanent perimeter fencing, or guard animals, or etc).

4) also it won't work in a circle, you need angles and straight lines so you can tie the corner posts back to prevent it from sagging too badly in the wind.

Overall, I would totally not suggest doing it. Electronet DOES have its uses (I'm using some right now, in fact
tongue.png
), but this is NOT one of them
wink.png

Sorry, good luck, have fun,

Pat

My father uses it and it really isnt the greatest. Its fine for moving around to graze livestock, and is easy to set up, but you can probably do better. When the fence is off, my dog runs though it and busts it up, my foot constantly gets caught in it hopping over and yes it gets all bowed and bendy. And my dads dog jumps over it all the time at night.

What about chainlink and running the wires yourself along the outside? We are doing this with our run/garden and running wire around the entire thing.
Good luck!

Wow! So glad I didn't spend the money yet! I will be using a more permanent type of fence with a few hot wires on the outside of that. The fence will have angles, it is actually more of a large rectangle than a circle. Thanks so much for the replies and the input. You guys saved me a headache.

Back
Top Bottom