Premier Poultry Fencing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jdc, May 7, 2011.

1. jdc

jdc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    This will be my second year raising meat birds, I did 25 Rangers last year. I lost 5 birds to a puggle digging into my tractor.

This year I am doing 55 cornish X to compare and wanted to use the portable fencing w/ the tractor as a shelter. After searching the forums, I cannot find any info on how often it would be neccessary to move the netting. Does anyone have any pictures of their setup using the fencing? Will the meaties go into the tractor at night?

Thanks

2. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Cornish X will not and are not smart enough to go back to their housing at night. Your best bet is to just wrap your fence just wider than tractor and as far as you can make a lane.

I personally use fencing from Kencove and find it cheaper in price, great on closeouts. I just purchased 4 164 foot rolls of 48 inch tall poultry netting for $120 per roll because of one bad horitzonal line defect. I can live with it for my goats.

3. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    I'm finding that the birds follow the food. I keep the trough in or near the tractor and they find there way in at night. I'm using the Kencove pos/neg fence, and they squeeze through it perfectly. So if they get hungry before I get to them, they do venture outside looking for commercial feed. I found my cornish cross outside of the fence several times and they are about 7 weeks now.

4. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    We keep 3 lengths of fence around two tractors and my daughters layer house (4 birds). Tractors move every day, layers clean up what's left over, fence moves on weekends.

Very pleased with the fence (2 spike PermaNet). Very. We lost two layers to predation. I didn't realize the fence was being held up by a thick clump of grass. The skunk found that and had chicken heads for dinner. Two less chickens, one less skunk. Not a fair trade but my fault entirely. I've seen skunks running away from me bounce off of the fence before trying another direction. Keeps in chickens and goats, keeps out critters...when I do my job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by