1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Premier PoultryNet Plus Electric Fence vs Premier PermaNetPlus

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HJECG, Jan 31, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    I've narrowed my chicken fencing choice down to two options: Premier1 PoultryNet Plus or Premier1 PermaNet Plus. The latter is $50 more than the former per 100 ft roll so I'm waffling about whether the PermaNet Fencing as described is actually worth that much more than the PoultryNet Plus.

I'd love some input from any of y'all who have used either or both of these specific electric poultry fencing options from Premier. What do you think of them? Are there any shortcomings to the design that you wish Premier would change? Do you have a recommendation for me on which one I should go with?

I will be fencing a relatively small area (using a single 100 ft roll) of my city backyard, which is sorta slopey, to create a run. My coop may be inside the fencing; I haven't decided yet. I also have an 8 foot wooden privacy fence around my whole yard, but my city's chicken ordinance requires chicken owners to have a run or poultry fencing located at least 10 feet from the property line. My tall wooden fence, which had been keeping my chickens in previously, is only 1.5 feet from my property line; thus I am now creating this new fenced area well inside the wooden fence.

I look forward to hearing from folks on this. I hate to spend that much more if I don't need to. However, I also don't want to buy something I will regret later, wishing Id just spent that extra $$ to begin with for the right product.

Wendy

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I went with the regular PermaNet over the PoultryNet, or PoultryNetPlus. PermaNet has thicker posts and thicker ground spikes than the PoultryNet. Which is a good thing, if like me, you want to set the fence up for permanent use. I have found that the 8' in between the posts vs the 6' with the PermaPlus, is no big deal, as far as the fence sagging. If you pull it tight as you install the fence, you won't have a problem with sagging. I also went with the double spikes for my fence, I just think two spikes are better than one. Slopes are no problem, My set up is on a slope. The fence I bought was something like $167 for a 100' section, and I have 6 of them.
    My fence has been up close to two years now. I've had some stupid deer run over and through it once. I had a 60' tree fall on it another time. Both times, the fence was stood back up, and back in business with no problem. I really like this fence. I just know it has saved my flock from certain death. I have just about every ground pred you can get, outside of a bear, and this fence has proved it's worth. My coop is like FortKnox, so I did not worry about them at night. I had my problems in the afternoon, when they were out wandering around. The fox proved to be a 24hr a day threat. The electrified poultry net was the answer for me. Below is an older pic, before the expansion. The fence now goes out to, and around that tree you see in the background.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Your fence looks fantastic!

4. Lyranonamous

Lyranonamous Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    I recently bought 100 linear ft of the 48 " electric poultry netting. I was about to buy another 100 ft (and still might) but while talking with Premier on the phone today I was told that when there is snow on the ground the predators won't get shocked because on snow they will be insulated (and need to be touching the ground to get zapped) I wish I had known this before buying it because here it begins to snow in Oct and continues through March if not later. So I'm wondering if 6 months of the year the fence won't serve any purpose.

I see other people are using this fence in the snowy areas so I don't know why it is working well for them. If anyone can let me know how well it works in snow that would be great. I don't want to buy more until I know more.

Besides that it's really easy to put it up and the double spike is shaped like a small H and it means that you can just step on it, driving both spikes at the same time-you're not really driving in 2 spikes for every post. I found that the netting with 10 ft post do sag-but I was told I can use fiberglass posts bought locally. Next time I would buy the 6 foot posts for the part of the fence that's visible from the street.
    When I put section of the fence inside the run-in barn on the loose dirt floor the double posts did not hold the fence up at all. The post just fell out of the ground. If you have very sandy soil this fence probably won't work.
    If you have to move the fence line that gets a little messy and would be a lot easier with 2 people. Still possible
    with 1 person.
    I did find out that you don't have to make a closed fence line (such as a circle or square) so that means I was able to make an arc around the front of the run-in barn and the girls can let themselves in during the day if needed.

Any input from member using this fence would be great. I have only 3 chickens and have spent $600 in fencing this month-so this is getting expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by