Premium+ Chick-N-Barn?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GeneviaJ, Apr 15, 2011.

1. GeneviaJ

GeneviaJ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    I need reviews please. I found what I think is a GREAT deal on a chicken coop. It's the Ware Manufacturing Premium + Chick-N-Barn. http://www.waremfginc.com/b-detaildisplay.aspx?itemno=01465 It's about 350...compared to 900+ for other coops of the same size. We haven't had the time to build our own coop with hubby's work schedule, and all the rain we've been getting. Our chicks are due to go outside in 2-3 weeks. Please help.

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    seems like a lot of money to me. But I just built an 8x8 coop and used treated 4x4's all around the bottom and it only cost us around $300 in total.

but then again I don't really care what it looks like, because it is a barn--

3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    All of those Ware coops are cheap garbage.
    you really do get what you pay for.
    much better off building you own.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In addition to two coops I've built myself and a plastic Tikes playhouse I've transmorgrified into a coop, I have several coop kits in my Chicken Compound. I totally understand the need to have chicken housing available both QUICKLY and easily. (I've also got construction undergoing on a much larger coop.)

ANYway, I think you can make that coop work. It has more ventilation than most coop kits, and six chickens just might be able to roost in it at night. It won't be large enough to house them for extended periods of time, such as during winters with snow. I don't live where snow is an issue; the flock uses the coops only for sleep and laying eggs, for the most part. If you have a large enough run or let your chickens range freely, as do mine, that Ware coop would be adequate housing. You may need to beef up the latches, though. I'd also put it up on bricks or blocks like a foundation, to keep that wood off the ground (it's what I do with my kit coops) and I'd also use some extra sealant to make it more weather-proof.

I'd go for it - because I have similar kit coops in use.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you do a search here for Ware coops, I think you will find quite a few posts from people who bought them and had complaints. The material used in these coops doesn't seem to last very long when the coop gets rained on, for example.

What climate do you live in? If your winters are relatively mild (for example, North Texas) a very serviceable and relatively inexpensive coop/run combo can be achieved using a chainlink dog kennel, roofing it with metal panels, and reinforcing it with hardware cloth. In the winter, you could just tarp the sides.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    These are poor quality coops and sometimes only last through one rainy season according to what I've read. I've never owned one but saw one on display. It was terribly warped due to the use of thin wood and little waterproofing.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A lot of those little prefab coops really need a good coat of sealer or paint, to protect them from wet weather. What they come with just isn't enough.

8. JohnBob

JohnBob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Tipton County TN
    I've seen one of these up close and I just checked the web site ane looked at the assembly instructions. Big words at bottom turned me off right away......MADE IN CHINA! [​IMG]
    If you can't build a coop yourself you might check out your local craig's list under lawn&garden for used storage sheds. They'd be a better buy.

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:You are going to start them out inside in a brooder, which is a big box with a screen over it and a warming light
    so you have lots of time still to build something

I just drove 90 miles to look at some of these things, that one included, at a store and drove away with nothing
    half a day with some sheets of plywood and you will be better off
    one thing I didn't like was that on inspection, they were not secure enough
    and the wood is very thin
    felt all flimsy to me
    have someone make one for you, it can be very simple
    good luck

10. GeneviaJ

GeneviaJ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Thanks y'all! Looks like we'll pass on that coop. Our chicks are about 3 weeks old now. We have 2 br, 2 rir, 2 aruacana & 2 bo....and 2 khaki campbell ducks. I'll look into having someone build one for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by