Preordering - any advantage?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by texas_chick, Feb 2, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Is there any advantage to preordering?
    I mean other than Meyer's not having to answer my inquiries on when their web ordering will be available ... LOL
    Like to pre-orders get filled first before the weborders, etc?

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I suppose the main advantage to preordering would be to avoid the prospect of not enough stock to fill your order -- my guess is that the orders are filled on a first come first served basis regardless of whether it arrived by phone/fax/email/internet.

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:I had asked Ideal to notify when Barnevelders would be available. I got an email back early in January that I would be able to order them January 9th. I ordered them on January 9th. I got an email saying that they would not ship until March, because that is where I fell in the list.

I noticed over the weekend on their website, that Barnevelders are sold out until 2010 now.

If I had not ordered ASAP, I would not have gotten any.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:that was a close call! definitely the preorder was a good idea for you [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Okay you all are freaking me out. I placed my pre-order...
    They said they think it will be end of March because of the Welsummers.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:If you ordered from Ideal. The cool thing is that you can change it, add to it or delete from the order between know and when they ship. As long as they have what you need, they will be happy to add it for you.

I personally am not allowing myself to go looking. I would love to get another duck or another goose. Stop it!!!! I am doing it.

7. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:If you ordered from Ideal. The cool thing is that you can change it, add to it or delete from the order between know and when they ship. As long as they have what you need, they will be happy to add it for you.

I personally am not allowing myself to go looking. I would love to get another duck or another goose. Stop it!!!! I am doing it.

So, you can change your order as long as it hasn't shipped yet? Because I placed my order last week and have been second guessing what I ordered. Do you have to call them?

8. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I'm SOOO glad I'm not the only one that's going through this. I'm on first name basis with one of the gals at Ideal. When she answers I say "Hi, this is the pest from Colorado" She just laughs "You're not a pest" (with a roll of her eyes [​IMG]) They are very good and very patient with us folks who can't decide what to order. We're like kids in the candy shop [​IMG] I either email or call her direct extension and have no problems getting and answer.

Good luck!!

9. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Yeap - You can change the order and they have always been great about it at least with me.

10. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Well the site is still not up but they called me back today to take my CC info and give me my ship date [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by