Prepaing for hot weather

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, May 20, 2011.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I am brand new to all this so was wondering how hot is too hot for Cornish X's? I want to be ready when and if the warm weather ever arrives to SE Idaho!!! I currently have 20 that are 4 weeks and will be getting 40 more the end of June and now I'm worried about them getting too hot. I read about the ice water and ice bottles and will use that method if needed but was just wondering on the temp. TIA!!! [​IMG]

2. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Good question I really hope to hear from somebody that knows. I'm new also and wanting to get some but am nervous that it will get to hot before they are ready for the freezer. I also heard that if they are done in the summer or hot weather that they will be a fatty bird. I wonder about that anyone heard this or know anything about that???
    Thanks chikeemamma!

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The June ones are going to get hot.
    Best solution I have found is
    1. free range them and
    2. give them areas of cool grass in the shade to rest in.
    3. Breeze (or fan is nice) and
    4. they like to cool their feet in those wide flat black rubber pans used for feeding grain to horses.

4. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Thank you for the info. We don't get as hot as it does in Boise but we do get warm. Luckily, the wind seems to blow nonstop around here. Ugh!!! They will have over 20 acres of room to play and lots of trees so they should be good. I just so happen to have grain feeding pans for horses but also have about 8 kiddie wading pools that we use for our worm business so those might work too?

Quote:

Last edited: May 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by