Prepare to be a new chicken owner next spring

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shealy09, Aug 21, 2016.

1. shealy09

shealy09 New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Hello everyone! My family and I am getting ready to close on a house in rural Maine with 4 acres. I'm so excited to get some chickens. We would like to get chickens next spring. Can't wait to read threw all these amazing articles and information about chicken keeping.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home. Click on 'The Learning Center' at the top of the page, study the forums, question away, plan and you will be set next spring when you get your chicks.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you and your family :clap I hope your move goes well and good luck with your new chicken adventures. As sourland says the learning Center is a great place to drop by ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Lots of great articles there that will help you get ready for your new birds in the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC amd be sure to ask any questions that you may have :frow

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. Enjoy your farm and chickens!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

IMO you have already started out the best way - study, plan and get your flock in the Spring is the best way to go.

Decide on why you want your own flock (eggs and fun is #1) and how many/what breeds do best in your climate and what source to obtain them.

If you want layers - try to get them either as sexed chicks or elect pullets. Otherwise make plans for possible roos-rehoming can be difficult.

** I would start with the babies - those early days are so much fun and an adventure not to miss**

Decide where to place your coop/run, check out the coop/run forums to see what fits for you.
    Pay attention to the space they need - build bigger than the minimum. It is hard to increase their home after they move in :(

Feel free to post questions in the forums, you'll find a lot of helpful, friendly folks around here.

You are beginning a great adventure, enjoy it all.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Be sure to check out the coops section and the predator threads as well, so you will have a safe set up for chickens when you get them. Everything loves to eat chickens.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by