Prepared my Pekins for belowe zero temps today **Pics**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FisherMOM, Jan 13, 2009.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    My girls were SO DIRTY!!! They were dirty and matted and not laying well because I think that they were cold. The weather here has been relentless and freezing. I can hardly keep up with keeping fresh water for them, and it doesn't matter... if they get wet, it freezes on them anyways.

In the next few days, it is going to get colder. It is not supposed to be above 10 degrees F and they are looking at temps to be at the lowest at -7 F. Throw in the windchill factor and you have 3 frozen ducks.

So tody, while the temps are touching 30 F, I put water in my bathtub and brought the girls in. I only have 3, so it's doable. They were very happy ducks for about an hour and a half.. maybe 2 hours.

They were mostly dry when I took them back out.. to their house that has a layer of fresh straw in it. In an hour or so, I MIGHT let them out so they can visit with the chickens.. because the next couple of days, I think they will stay in their house.

here were my girls this am...

[​IMG]

this one was taken after I had changed their water once already!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I have some video on YouTube. At one point, I close the shower curtain so that you can hear them splashing... but then I videoed them again from above the curtain. They really had a great time!

Actually.,., it was a good thing to bring them in. I could give them the once over and check them for sores and see if they looked sick. And, Shrek, the smallest, seems underweight. Not sure how to fatten her up. She does not eat much. She is the one that does not rush to the food and she eats a minimal amount.

anyways... here are my girls on video!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Looks like they had a great time. Now, you know they will be expecting more of this.... you've started something! That water is pretty dirty. Hopefully they will be well rested after this "spa" treatment.

3. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Gretchen has been in for a bath 3 times now. She was the most comfortable. I brought her in one day when I was taking her to a preschool. And then one other time, they all 3 were inside and took a bath the night before their first poultry showing. They all placed too. They were the cleanest ducks there! [​IMG]

Gretchen is definitely the most comfortable doing it! She knows what to do once in the tub.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Too funny, Fisher...

5. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Very Cute pictures....

But I have a question....is this from there bath today or in 2 days??? because the date says Jan. 15, 2009. Isn't today the 13th?? [​IMG]

still cute pictures even if they are from the future!!!!!

6. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    yes.. today is the 13th.. I guess that I am 2 days ahead of myself! sigh! This was from today!

Thanks.. I need to change that for my records!

7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:hahaha that's ok, here I was hoping you had some form of camera that took pictures from the future....Was gonna be first one to request one!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] At least you know what they'd look like in 2 days incase they get dirty again!!!

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    That is too funny! I haven't had mine in the tub since they were half that size... I couldn't image the mess of cleaning that tub... oh wait... yeah I can... so sorry for the mess! [​IMG]

9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Here they are AFTER their bath!

as far as cleaning up after them... it really isn't so bad,
    as long as you have a shower curtain or door for when they splash!

No worse then cleaning up after a Golden Retriever in the tub.
    Oh wait... even EASIER than cleaning up after a Golden...
    No hair.. only a few feathers and dirt. Poop washes away!

[​IMG]

Then I let them have a nice long clean drink afterwards.

[​IMG]

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    They get mcdonalds after their bath!? LUCKY DUCKIES!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by