Preparing deep for litter coop, and modifying prebuilt

Pouletmaman

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
I’m preparing to do deep litter. Also, I have this coop I want to raise (it’s killing my back). I live in a rainy winter area, and I lack knowledge about making foundation and controlling dirt. We see tunnels around so I have to mostly worry about digging predators.

the pics show the cement blocks I’m using. And the wood marks where I’m digging to set it up permanently. I have hardware cloth.
I think with deep litter it is advantageous to dig deeper so my litter is starting below ground level. I know hardware cloth should be 12 inches down. To raise the coop I want to have it on top of these blocks on their long side. So my main question is:

Is it best to have them on top of something other than dirt? Isn’t there risk of erosion and collapse since I’m digging for the cloth and deep litter? If I have it on the ground should I secure it by tamping (I don’t have a tamper yet) and putting down sand (I have lots of sand)

Attachments

• AFC55992-C906-42EF-8282-4C34245810EB.jpeg
    AFC55992-C906-42EF-8282-4C34245810EB.jpeg
    978.8 KB · Views: 31
  • E74F5E5F-FCA0-414C-AABD-4881171AACA4.jpeg
    E74F5E5F-FCA0-414C-AABD-4881171AACA4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • C45BA832-0474-46BB-A9EC-443D68862755.jpeg
    C45BA832-0474-46BB-A9EC-443D68862755.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 17
  • A37D9690-AEE8-4300-A0EB-AC4A7CDA4D34.jpeg
    A37D9690-AEE8-4300-A0EB-AC4A7CDA4D34.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 21
Have you tried doing an apron instead of resorting to putting wire underneath the run? It'd save you all that work of digging out a foundation for the unit, and prevent the chickens from hurting themselves digging down to the wire.

I'm not sure how well deep litter will work here, as it needs a certain amount of volume to work effectively or it gets overwhelmed (just like compost with a bad ratio of greens to browns). Is that why you're hoping to dig down, to increase the volume by adding height? How big is the area outlined by the wood?

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? This is one of the places where climate can matter because there is a world of difference between a coop foundation in a place subject to frost heave and in a place not subject to frost heave.

I can give better advice if I know what kind of weather conditions you're likely to experience. :)

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? This is one of the places where climate can matter because there is a world of difference between a coop foundation in a place subject to frost heave and in a place not subject to frost heave.

I can give better advice if I know what kind of weather conditions you're likely to experience. :)
Oh yes of course, I’m in Seattle area

Oh yes of course, I’m in Seattle area

So you don't get harsh winters with frost heave there?

If I'm right about that, you could certainly put your coop up on concrete blocks. They should be placed with the holes up and down because that's the direction that the strength is in. We have a shed that was moved by an incompetent contractor that is now tilted because some of the blocks broke due to being laid on their sides with the holes horizontal.

If you intend to have more than one course of block you'll want to use some rebar to secure it. You'll also need to anchor the coop to the blocks somehow if you are subject to storm winds. :)

Have you tried doing an apron instead of resorting to putting wire underneath the run? It'd save you all that work of digging out a foundation for the unit, and prevent the chickens from hurting themselves digging down to the wire.

I'm not sure how well deep litter will work here, as it needs a certain amount of volume to work effectively or it gets overwhelmed (just like compost with a bad ratio of greens to browns). Is that why you're hoping to dig down, to increase the volume by adding height? How big is the area outlined by the wood?
The area is 9’ x 3’ 4” (the size of my pre-fab)
My plan for hardware cloth is 12”down on sides, not on the floor.
I’m digging down to get a good litter going- to add a few inches of browns and still be at or lower than ground level. I’m adding more height to give room for it to grow and to make this a stand-in height. I don’t want to crouch down.
I just added a pic of the current state- I temp put in the blocks to hold back the dirt. I assume I need to tamper under the blocks and add sand?

Oh yes of course, I’m in Seattle area. We have frost but not severe winters. Some snow for a few days.

Attachments

• CBDFBEE6-0A74-42B5-B00F-27AFB30BC6D6.jpeg
    CBDFBEE6-0A74-42B5-B00F-27AFB30BC6D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
So you don't get harsh winters with frost heave there?

If I'm right about that, you could certainly put your coop up on concrete blocks. They should be placed with the holes up and down because that's the direction that the strength is in. We have a shed that was moved by an incompetent contractor that is now tilted because some of the blocks broke due to being laid on their sides with the holes horizontal.

If you intend to have more than one course of block you'll want to use some rebar to secure it. You'll also need to anchor the coop to the blocks somehow if you are subject to storm winds. :)
Great thank you! So just rebar in the block holes? Shoot if I can’t have the holes horizontal then I can’t get the extra height using the long side for the second layer, above ground level. I could use two more layers? Without grouting/cementing them together?

Great thank you! So just rebar in the block holes? Shoot if I can’t have the holes horizontal then I can’t get the extra height using the long side for the second layer, above ground level. I could use two more layers? Without grouting/cementing them together?

You're getting a bit beyond my knowledge. :)

The people at your building supply store might be able to give you better information. I just know that we've got crushed blocks under one of our sheds because they were installed wrong.

The area is 9’ x 3’ 4” (the size of my pre-fab)
My plan for hardware cloth is 12”down on sides, not on the floor.
Ok that's good to know. To keep diggers out you may still need to apron around as well (lay hardware cloth flat on surface around outside perimeter) as 12" deep may not be deep enough to exclude pests and predators.

I just added a pic of the current state- I temp put in the blocks to hold back the dirt. I assume I need to tamper under the blocks and add sand?
I assume so, in order to get a flat foundation to rest the coop on, but I have very little experience working with cinder blocks.

Frost heave shouldn't be an issue around here. It can happen but in general we don't have issues with that, as it doesn't get cold enough fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom