Preparing ducks for winter

Pics
Aug 13, 2018
Hi all I would like to start a discussion on how everybody prepares and takes care of their flock over the winter.
Things to consider:
Feeding- change of diet, low protein, higher protein, corn?, layer crumbles.
Heat lamp- when and what temp to start
Bedding- straw, shavings, etc.
Health promotion- dietary supplements baths, mite control.
Housing- all sides covered of enclosure?, straw on floor of enclosure.
(If I’ve missed anything feel free to ad onto the list).
Start by telling me:
Type of duck
Type of enclosure (enclosed w/run or free range)
Type of bedding you use/recomend and why
Type of food you use and why

I’m looking forward to all the responses :frow

Long story short, I don't do much different in winter at all vs. summer, I make the bedding in their house a little deeper, I change the drinking water a bit more frequently if it freezes, the swimming water is less frequent on warmer days only. I have to haul water from the house because my hose freezes in winter and water containers come inside my human house overnight to thaw if I remember.

Runners/ Buffs / Muscovy Geese/ Chickens only things I do different is I use heated buckets and dog bowls. I use deep bedding year round just make it deeper in winter .pine shaving horse bedding. Mine get same feed but I add whole corn to their afternoon treat along with dried mealworms and 6 way scratch. Their enclosure is half acre fenced with their houses, pop doors open so they can go in any time they want. I don’t put food and water inside in winter either,no heat.

Last edited:
Thank you! - I was about to start a similar thread.
I raised my five ducklings in a chicken-house during the summer time and of course, being ducks they never walked up the ramp to use the upstairs "apartment" and by now the whole thing is way too small for five almost fully grown indian-runners…
This is my setup:
20180910_182258.jpg The chicken house is located on a wooden platform with a metal roof. The previous owners had a disgusting, ant infested dog house on it which i removed. Attached 3' tall chicken-wire around the platform, more to keep the curious ducklings in, than as a predator protection.
For the winter, i was thinking to remove the chicken-house, cover the remaining 5' opening at the top with chicken wire and install 5' plywood around the whole platform as a wind break for the duckies. Install a divider-wall in the middle to separate bedding from food and water. Do you think that would be sufficient?
The winters here in WV won't be as cold as in WI or MN, more the wet, rainy, sleet type of winter, but i was also told we might have 6' of snow, -10° and howling winds for some time. - This is my first winter here in WV and i am not looking forward to it, have lived the last ten years in Houston, TX and yes, we had frost there for some hours overnight…

That is a nice setup and I think it's a great idea about covering with ply wood and making the divider to keep food and water out of sleeping area. You might want to consider putting down some inexpensive vinyl flooring over your wood to keep the water and food off the wooden floor. I have it in all my houses and it works great. I'd make sure to leave plenty of ventilation around the top of your enclosure so stale wet moisture can escape and maybe once spring comes you can cut some windows in for good air flow. I don't know what your predators are like there but chicken wire was made to keep poultry in not predators out half inch hardware cloth is about the only thing to keep out preds.
Poultry need good ventilation they make a lot of moisture.

But I like your idea it sounds nice and doable. and of course pictures are always welcome.

I don't change too much either. I use straw in winter for extra insulation. Wrap my runs in vapour barrier plastic to block out wind. Feed is the same actually although a couple of times a week I add in scratch or wild bird seed. Feed more veggies and toss in some hay.
Haul fresh water in pails twice daily.

Back
Top Bottom