Preparing eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dfchaser, Feb 26, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I am planning on taking eggs from one of my chickens and placing them in the incubator. How do i store the eggs before they go in the bator? How long will they last stored?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I store mine for 2 weeks, so i get a big batch to put in. Otherwise, people reccommend no more than 10 days.

3. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    10-14 days, where can i keep them? how warm do they need to stay?

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they need to be in a cool dark place. 50-60 degrees. i use a small fridge set on the hottest temp. and while you are "storing" them, they need to be turned just like they were in the bator,, i tilt my cartons, at least 30 degrees, 1 side to the other, at least 3 times a day, the more the better.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Do not store for more than 7 days. Viability will reduce by around 10% for every day they are stored after 7.

Keep them at around 55F, and 50% RH. Turn at least once a day.

If you have a spare turner around, they are good for storage, just plug it in.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i forgot to add,,, when your done storing your eggs, take them out and set on the counter and let them warm up, usually around 8 to 12 hours for shipped eggs, and 4 or 5 hours for stored eggs.

7. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Looks like you have gotten good advise.

8. dfchaser

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I think so, I figured i could only hold them for like a day, so I am excited. I am also going to add the eggs i collect to a batch of Amerucana eggs i am going to purchase that way i am hatching more than 6 eggs! (instead it will be more like 30!) DH will be thrilled i am sure!

9. friendshipstar

friendshipstar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    We actually store ours in the well of the crawl space under our house before incubation. It is dark and just the right temp. We started doing this when we collected last time and hatched about 97 percent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by