Preparing Flock for Winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animalspooker, Aug 7, 2014.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    We had an abundance of roosters this spring, and now we want to prepare the entire flock for winter. We've build a trampoline coop to separate those birds we want to process. Our concern is with the roosters fighting with one another. We plan to put 5 roosters and 5 cochins hens in the trampoline coop to be processed. Will the roosters kill one another or will they kill the hens? Our other hens, which are our egg layers, are free range. Will this cause problems with the roosters as well since they won't be able to get to them? We do not plan to raise chicks next year...at least not at this time, so do we need to keep one rooster? Will it affect their egg laying if a rooster is not present?

Need advice!?!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Rooster present or not can't affect ovulation. It happens with all healthy females regardless of species.

I once successfully put all my roosters together for the winter. Other attempts were a disaster. Putting them together with a few hens will likely be much worse. Sometimes bachelor groups work but never with a few girls to fight over.

If they're full grown, I'd process them now.

What is a trampoline coop?

ETA

I do like to keep a rooster (dependent on breed) with each flock for daytime protection.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I would put the 5 roosters together, and leave the hens with your other birds. You can always separate them out the day before you plan on processing. I have had success with a bachelor coop, but as Chicken Canoe said, putting a few hens in with them will likely cause problems. They have no reason to fight if they don't have any hens with them. When I had my bachelor/grow out pen of roosters, they could see the hens and they were fine. They will squabble a bit to establish pecking order, but there shouldn't be any all-out battles. Also, if they are juveniles, they will be very hard on the hens you put in with them because they will be constantly trying to mate them.

4. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    Still building my trampoline coop. I split it in half, and then and sat the ends on the ground about ten feet apart. Then I butted it up against the old donkey barn. Covered it all in all in chicken wire....and voila!!!! Instant chicken coop. When I get it done I'll try to post pictures. I am experimenting with using that fabric deer repellent netting instead of chicken wire. It cost $15 for 700 sqft. vs. $50 for 300 sqft. of wire.

I know my description doesn't do it justice, so I'll try pics.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Curious what a trampoline coop is.

Chicken wire isn't predator proof. Deer netting is even less so.
    They will keep chickens confined but that's it.

6. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    I have chicken protecting dogs for that.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good to hear. Everyone's situation is different.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've seen the trampoline coops...the trampoline frame is taken apart in halves and then you have two metal 'hoops'....the legs can also be used to connect the two hoops.

quick google got me this:
    [​IMG]

9. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    What will you use for the roof?

10. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    This is mine exactly. They make for a great coop. I set ours up in the woods behind the house. Instead of chicken wire, I'm trying that 'deer proof' netting. If they get out its no big deal. And the netting is a LOT cheaper.

Anyway, mine is just like above, but butted against an old donkey barn. They can roost in there at night. And I used the black mat that you jumped on, when it was still a trampoline, for shade. As I said, this is an experiment. We'll see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by