Preparing for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shmccarthy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I have almost everything ready. My first shipment of chicks are shipping out from cackle hatchery on the 10th (Monday) of this month. I have Wednesday off in case they come that day and if they come a different day, I have someone who will pick them up while I'm at work. They're 25 st. run bantam silkies. They're shipping to my local post office here in Michigan. I only live about 10 minutes from the post office so they don't have a long journey once they arrive here.
    Other than having my brooder heated up, (it's outdoors but well built and insulated) what else should I do to make sure they are happy and comfy when they arrive?

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Alert your post office that they are coming and tell them you will pick them up right away when they call you. Give them your number. Ask them to keep the babies inside where its warm.

3. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I will be sure to do that. I've had a few issues with my post office and shipped eggs. The manager knows me by name...hehe
    But yes that's a really good idea. I'll call Monday and if I have tracking I'll call the day they're supposed to arrive too! :)

4. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri
    Make sure when you pick them up, you note the condition of the box, and if you think the box is damaged, you have postman take note of it (take pictures). I've even read to open box and count chicks with them watching but if you have a large order, that may be difficult. Usually, they ship extra chicks as packing peanuts/warmth so you'll probably have more than what you ordered.

Make sure you have food and water ready for them at home. Pick up each chick from the box, and dip their beak into the water so they know where it is. Usually they find the food when they are ready but the water is more necessry because of dehydration. You might also want to stop at the local farm store and pick up "sav-a-chick". It is an electrolyte powder you add to water to help boost your chickens' health.

Good Luck and happy brooding.
    CG

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan

Thanks! I found some electrolytes packets at TSC on sale last week so I picked some up :) what luck lol
    My last package of shipped eggs had 4 detached air cells and one was broken so I know the post handler was not being very careful despite all the warnings on the box... I didn't think to take a picture of it, I wish I would've. I did however file a complaint of the untimeliness and hassle I had to go through to receive them, but that's a different story. I've brooded chicks before, just never hipped chicks and not this early outdoors. My cackle receipt said I would get a few extras to count for any that are lost and they will credit if any more than the extras included don't make it.
    How often should I give the electrolytes? I heard its a good idea for shipped hicks once you get them but would it be beneficial to continue for a length of time? I also have packets to account for any pasty butt, if need be.

6. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri
    Re: Electrolytes

I'm not sure. I've done it for the first couple of gallons (I've brooded small batches of no more than 10 chicks, so a gallon takes a while to use up) then switched to plain water.

CG

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I calculated the amounts of chick saver to use in smaller batches by measuring what was in the little packet and then doing the math.
    Because you're supposed to mix it fresh everyday and no way would my 8 chicks need a gallon a day.
    Here's the numbers:

Sav-A-Chick
    Powder Water
    2 tsp 4 Qts
    1 tsp 2 Qts
    1/2 tsp 1 Qt
    1/4 tsp 1 Pint

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you can find Avian Super Pack, it is a much better vitamin formulation, and more concentrated than most other water dispersible powders. It is given 1/4 tsp per gallon of water. I give it in water the first 3 days for newly arrived chicks, then a couple days a week as they grow:
    http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/aviansp.pdf

I also use Probios Dispersible powder mixed in at 1/2 tsp per gallon:
    http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules.html

If you don't use a medicated feed for immunity to Coccidiosis, I've found that Corid 9.6% is a great preventative at 1/2 tsp per gallon starting at about 3 weeks of age, and given for 5 days in a row every three weeks until they are at least 7 months old. I've never lost a chick to Coccidiosis since following that program.

9. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks! I'll keep this saved :)

10. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I am going out tomorrow to get the bedding and food for the chicks. I have the brooder warned up since this morning. I'll check for all that when I go to the store. :) the chicks are on their way and are supposed to be here between tomorrow and Thursday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by