Preparing for new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 1, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Now that my coop is done, I am starting to get together all of the supplies I will need for my new chicks (to come in the spring). What do I need to get to start off (including medications to have on hand)? I figured to place an order with Jeffers in the next month or so.

I know I need starter feed, grit, waterer and feeder, diatomaceous earth and pine shavings for the coop. What do y'all recommend from there?

CG

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Songster

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    depending on age/location you might need heat lamps and a thermometer.
    I never used medicated feeder and everyone did just fine. I threw a little grit in the brooder box but I think it may not be necessary until they go of starter feed.
    If you are getting little ones, I used tons of paper towels over the shavings for about 3-4 days- It helps prevent leg problems and you can monitor the poop better. I would also recommend Q-tips and olive oil in case of pasty butt. (I had over 60 babies of various ages at one time, after one episode of pasty butt, I made it a rule from that point out to rub a ring around their bottoms at 2days old. No more problems with pasty butt)

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You olive oil them up whether they show signs of pasty butt or not, like a preventative?

Got the paper towels and heat lamp. Will add thermometer to the list.
    thanks!
    CG

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Songster

Sep 11, 2007
    I would also carry electrolites. You never know when you wake up and there is a sluggish one.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Special chicken electrolytes or something like pedialite?

6. dbjay417

dbjay417 Songster

Dec 14, 2007
    excellent thread. Maybe they have a new corn flavor of gatorade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: