Preparing for show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gooselady, Jul 30, 2013.

1. gooselady

gooselady In the Brooder

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a trio of Silkies that I am trying to get ready for showing. Can anyone give me some info on the best bathing supplies a d the best way to feed to get them in good form.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, first, I'd isolate them from the rest of the flock 2 weeks before the show (if they're with others birds). This will prevent other birds from pecking them/ripping out feathers/injuring combs. If they have any injuries, this will give them time to heal.

At this time, you could also feed them a different food that contains more protein. This will help their feathers get in good condition. Feeding food high in oil (such as sunflower seeds) will also improve their feathers.

Three days or so before the show, bathe them. Get three tubs full of 95 degree Fahrenheit water. To the first tub, add mild shampoo or soap. Dog shampoos work well, or you can get special chicken shampoos. For white birds, you might want to try whitening dog shampoo. If you see mites and lice on them, you could try Adam's Flea and Tick Shampoo.

Don't put anything else in the second tub, which will be for rinsing. In the last tub, add 3/4 cup of vinegar. This will cut away any excess soap.

Take each bird through each tub. Work the water into their feathers, paying special attention to around their vent, and other dirty areas. A cup for dumping water over their backs will be helpful, and a toothbrush will help if cleaning their feet. When done bathing each one, dry it off with a towel, and place it in a clean cage or other clean area.

The birds should remain in this clean area until the show. When you arrive at the show, make sure that they have a thick layer of bedding in their cage. This will prevent them from getting dirty before the judging begins.

The night before judging will take place, take away their feed, but leave the water. A bird with a full crop will not look its best for the judge. After judging is done, you can give them back the feed, but not before then.

Before judging starts, apply either mineral oil or petroleum jelly to their combs and wattles. You can also use products like All-Natural Comb Reddener (sold by Carefree Enzymes), or VetRX. Be careful not to get any of these materials on the feathers, as this will make them oily.

Hope this helps! This is what I do for each show, and it works well for me.

3. gooselady

gooselady In the Brooder

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thank you SO MUCH! Yes it has helped A LOT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by