Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MH37125, Feb 12, 2016.

1. MH37125

MH37125 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    New Mexico
    New too raising chickens and need advice. I have everything ready for my order of chicks that I purchased from Meyers. They are too arrive first of March. I have read many many threads about DOA's, dehydration, unresponsive chicks etc.

So my question is, what should I have available as soon as I bring them home from the PO in the case I have some bad looking and feeling chicks?

Any tricks or treatments I should know about?

I have read about electrolytes, what brand and how should it be mixed for the 1-3 day olds?

If a chick is very ill can you use a syringe to administer small amounts of water?

Any help is greatly appreciated so I can be as ready as possible to care for ill babies.

I know some breeds are more fragile than others. My order included the following (15)

Meyer Meal Maker 1
    Partridge Rock Female
    Salmon Faverolle Female
    Speckled Sussex Female
    Barnevelder Female
    Buff Orpington Female
    Golden Laced Wyandotte Female

Thanks!!!

2. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Have chick starter crumble, feeders, a waterers. DONT put the water and feed in a bowl. They can drown in the water and they can dump the feed over each other and suffocate. So def get the feeder and waterers.

Hint: you can feed them cooked salmon and some mealworms for beautiful feathers!

If they get sick it is very good to feed them water with a syringe. If they don't take you should force feed them. You can soak their feed to make it a soup and syringe feed it to them also.

Those breeds should be just fine. Keep me updated!

3. MH37125

MH37125 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    New Mexico
    Th

Thank you! I have the brooder ready except for the heating plate, I ordered 1 from Premiere 1 supplies. I have the chick crumble and chick feeders, also have nipple waterers on the walls of the brooder.

when do chicks start eating? 2nd, 3rd day?

For the first 24 hrs I have them home should I only make sure they are hydrated?

Once I get them I will post pics and an update on how they are doing!

4. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    With the nipple waterer, make sure they understand how to use it. Yes keep them hydrated at first, but if they start eating, just watch them closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by