Preparing for the Worst

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katgoldin, Dec 22, 2014.

1. katgoldin

katgoldin New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    Our three 3 week old Khaki Campbells escaped from their shed tonight. DH found them (happily) paddling in a puddle, but when he went to round them up, he lost 2 of them. We've been looking in the dark for three hours and can't find them. They can't have gone far and it's possible they have gone to hide in another barn, but I just can't see how they will survive the night. It's about 46F here tonight, but very wet and they aren't feathered out yet.

I just feel awful as I knew they could get out of their pen and had asked DH to look at it, but I must not have closed the barn door fully when I left them. It doesn't get light here till 9am so we have a long night ahead of us.

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that must feel terrible...how wet is it? Is it actually raining? At three weeks of age, ducklings don't need an external heat source and will not necessarily freeze to death and they still have each other to cuddle. Rain, on the other hand, can become a serious problem.
    I raised ducklings outside during the winter two years ago and they went happily swimming on the frozen pond.

I wish you the best, there is still hope [​IMG]

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry! that must be a tough place. I have had to wait for some runaway birds at night, and it is very nerve racking. There is a chance they will come back...i have had chickens come back after being out all night. I will be praying that they come back safe and sound.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you put the one duckling in a cage near where the others were last seen? If she begins calling, they may answer/come to her. Good luck.

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Oh no! Hopefully they found a good hiding spot and stay warm with each other. Keeping my fingers crossed that they come up in the morning.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Update?

7. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Hopefully they will come back... if not... [​IMG]

8. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps