Preparing for Winter - Keeping Water Thawed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lahaskell, Aug 19, 2013.

1. lahaskell

lahaskell Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    We are in a climate area that is very cold most of the year. I'm trying to get prepared for winter (even though it's 90 degrees today) & am wondering what others do/use to keep their water unthawed when it's 20 below. If you make a recommendation of a product could you tell me where you bought it from? I am concerned about anything that would be a fire hazard because I plan to use the deep litter method during the winter & to me wood chips look like really good kindling. Others thoughts?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I had a heated water bucket with nipples and heater tape wrapped on the outside. It worked fine.

However me being how I am I only had the one bucket and I found myself becoming lazy and not cleaning the container and changing the water as often as required.

I switched to rubber buckets (thanks to this site). Froze solid in the morning (subject to -40ยบ last winter). Ice pops out easy peasy. and replenish the water in the morning and check on it again after dinner.

Works the best for my hens and me. Hens do not need water once the sun goes down and they hit their roost in my set up (no extra lighting in winter in my coop).

Yes egg production does slow down a bit in my set up. However it spikes again as the days get longer.

I figure a hen is only good for a finite number of eggs if I keep them maybe a year or so longer it will all average out. Their manure is the gold I really cherish. Here is a look at my bean garden in June.
    [​IMG]

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I use a bird bath heater. It is bullet-proof. It activates at a certain temperature, so it doesn't run all the time. Of course, your temperatures might make it run a lot to keep the water unfrozen.

I use one like this: http://www.duncraft.com/10-Inch-Heated-Bird-Bath

It is available many places. I plug it in and toss it into the bucket that has the nipples mounted underneath. Metal construction, cord shrouded with metal. Hard to beat.

Chris

5. brains

brains Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Is it safe with a plastic bucket?

6. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I used a plug in dog bowl. It works well and I fill it up each morning. It is heavy enough that they can't tip it over until it is empty, and short enough that they can easily reach in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by