1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preparing for winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cluucky, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Cluucky

Cluucky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    In the coop
    Hi, i was wondering if we should do anything to our coop in winter when it comes.
    Also what should we do to prepare our chickens and help them to not get frostbite.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    i just had to do the dancing rabbit even though it has nothing to do with this.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    What breed(s) are your birds?
    It would be best if you would post photos of your coop and run - this will help us to identify any changes you might want to make for winter. We will also need to know what your location is so we can advise with your typical winter climate in mind.

3. jimbob86

jimbob86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    Just make sure there are no drafts blowing directly on the birds, while at the same time ensuring enough ventialtion that moisture from their breath does not condense on them.......

4. Cluucky

Oct 18, 2015
    In the coop
    There are three of them (in my avatar) A buffy, speckled sussex and a black austrolorp. Heres our coop:
    [​IMG]
    They are mostly free range birds.
    there is a perch inside of the coop

5. jimbob86

jimbob86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Nebraska
    My Coop
    Do you close them up in the coop at night? How much space is open to the outside for ventilation?

6. Cluucky

Oct 18, 2015
    In the coop
    The coop door is left open at night, though we put a curtain over their door so they dont see the house lights before i go to school. They spend the rest of their days outside
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Cluucky

Oct 18, 2015
    In the coop
    They go in by themselves -- on one side there is a perch and their door is covered by a curtain at night so they dont see light and get up at 5am

8. Cluucky

Oct 18, 2015
    In the coop
    What do you have to do to their combs? I heard their combs can freeze.

9. Cluucky

Oct 18, 2015
    In the coop
    And there is no fence around the coop

10. rubbleanddebris

rubbleanddebris Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    My birds got a little frostbite in the south dakota winter last year. This year I am going to keep the heated waterer outside, I think that was my moisture problem. I have foil bubble insulation in my coop for the winter. ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574 ) But overall, chickens seem to do fine in the cold. I also have the 'sweeter heater' from when they were chicks if the temp drops drastically to ease them into winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by