Preparing henhouse for hurricane coming....

aggiecatholicmom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Hi!
We live in Beaumont, TX, and quite likely, Gustavo will be hitting here pretty hard. Our hen house has a roof and 3 walls, but also some areas of just wire, for the breeze to blow through.
Can someone tell me, from their experiences or from things they have read, the best way to keep the chickens safe through the storm with high winds and rain? Would it be best to board up over the wire areas, or would that make the entire structure more likely to be blown over?
Thank you in advance for any advice on this.
Sincerely,
Jennifer

How is it anchored to the ground? A quick stopgap measure would be to get some mobile home anchors screw then into the ground and use the 2 or 3 in wide ratchet straps to go over the top of it.

Hi, I live in the Houston area so I understand your feelings. I am going to work on roof support and I am thinking of having some sand delivered today and building up the ground in parts of the pen so they won't be walking in alot of flood water.
I hate this time of year. My fear is if we have to evacuate then they will be left to care for themselves. During Alicia my aunt put her chickens in the garage before she left and they all died. So I am not sure exactly what to do at that point.
If we leave I will have 1 dh, 3 sons, 2 daughter inlaws , 2 grandchildren, 2 dogs, 19 baby bantams(yes they are coming) but my cuckoo marrans will have to stay, they are way too big. Our coop is pretty good for weather so its just a wait and see game.

I live in SW Florida and have been up against this problem too many times.

We originaly built the coop with a Cat 2 hurricane in mind, but since then have built an chicken ark to keep the babies and some of the bantams in at night. The last several storms I have just brought the entire ark into the garage, very stinky after a few days I can tell you that!!! But all chooks faired well. They were a little spastic though after all the noise of wind and rain but they seem to bounce back pretty well.

One thing you may want to plan for is massive SKEETER invasion after the storm with all the standing water. I'd reccomend a plan to deal with THAT as well. The sand idea is excellent to help keep them from standing in water.

Good luck and stay safe!

"I hate this time of year. My fear is if we have to evacuate then they will be left to care for themselves. During Alicia my aunt put her chickens in the garage before she left and they all died. So I am not sure exactly what to do at that point. "

Why did they die? I think I would pull all mine inside. I would maybe hang cages from the ceiling if I left them or I would let them free range the garage and hope the best. I would put perches up high also. Good luck!!

The roof was blown off of the garage, so I am not sure if from debris , or shock & stress. All you can do is your best, mother nature can be cruel.

best wishes for safety!..my thoughts are with all you guys in the path...take care..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom