Preparing to sell eggs at the farmers market

RitzHomestead

Chirping
Feb 19, 2015
Marble Hill, GA
So this summer I will be selling eggs at our local farmers market. I have taken a class and received my candlers license and can now inspect and grade eggs. Any tips on how to keep the eggs cool while at the farmers market, the guy giving the class said no ice can be used while keeping them in a cooler.

Not sure how much to sell the eggs for either..Just any tips from individuals that have sold at a farmers market before would be awesome.

Thanks!

When the guy said that you couldn't use ice in the cooler no one in the class asked what is acceptable? Do you have access to electricity at the farmers market? It sounds like you need a cooler with a generator.

What about those blue ice cooler inserts or whatever they're called? Just google blue ice; they will show up. The freezing agent is contained when using a blue ice cooler insert instead of the eggs floating in the melted ice cubes ... if that's what they're worried about. Or is there some other reason why they say, "No ice" at the farmers' market?

What about those blue ice cooler inserts or whatever they're called? Just google blue ice; they will show up. The freezing agent is contained when using a blue ice cooler insert instead of the eggs floating in the melted ice cubes ... if that's what they're worried about. Or is there some other reason why they say, "No ice" at the farmers' market?

Cross contamination resulting from contaminated melt water coming into contact with the porous eggshells?

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's perfectly legitimate to not want the eggs on uncontained ice, but besides the cartons/eggs floating in melted ice water, what are they worried about? The Blue Ice packs would solve the melting ice water problem.

Nobody wants eggs that have been floating in water. Ugh. Ew. Yuck.

However, it sounds like the farmers' market people didn't say exactly why they made the requirements that they did, nor what the acceptable alternatives were.

Ice bricks in the esky/cooler? Or frozen bottles or ziplock bags of water for a cheaper option, there would be some condensation but the water would be contained. if you wrapped the bottle in a towel that would absorb the condensation

Because ice water on eggs will allow cross contamination of the eggs. If the eggs are thoroughy chilled and the cooler is cold prepped before putting the cartons of eggs in the cooler, the eggs should remain cool for a few hours.

At our Farmer's Market, they usually have a carton of eggs displayed, this carton is not sold. It goes back home with the vendor. Eggs that are sold are lifted out of the cooler as they are sold.

Because ice water on eggs will allow cross contamination of the eggs. If the eggs are thoroughy chilled and the cooler is cold prepped before putting the cartons of eggs in the cooler, the eggs should remain cool for a few hours.

At our Farmer's Market, they usually have a carton of eggs displayed, this carton is not sold. It goes back home with the vendor. Eggs that are sold are lifted out of the cooler as they are sold.

Yes, and since eggs will be eggs I don't see much wrong with eating room temperature eggs, especially after they have been heat treated in a skillet. Remember, it is always better to beg forgiveness, than to seek permission.

Last edited:
Have you tried calling the people who gave the class and ask what is ok? Is it just loose ice that is banned. I never put loose ice in my cooler when I go camping. That is a mess. I always freeze my ice inside of a plastic bottle. The larger the better so I usually use an old 1 gallon milk container that I wash out and filled with water. Make sure you don't fill it all the way when you freeze it or the container will bust.

The guy in the class said that because of contamination reasons. I was also thinking I could put sponges that have been soaked in water and frozen in bags then put those in the cooler, as the ice melts the sponge soaks back in the water.

Back
Top Bottom