Preparing Young Rooster for Show Pen Two Nights Before

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Dec 4, 2014.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have a couple cockerels / bullstags very recently picked to be taken would be taken to a show this weekend. First I brought only to have toddler daughter promptly pull tail feathers out. The swapped him for number two pick. Second bird and daughter were managed much tighter. After holding and petting him about an hour with daughters more channeled help, we was ready to feed treats. After an additional 30 minutes of that he was released to walk about the house. My daughter followed him around most of the time has he pecked about for eats. He jumped into bathroom mirror more than once which I had to prevent. Occasionally I would go over and pick him up and then gave him a stroke and a treat before putting him down with my daughter so they could resume their stroll. Daughter saw what I was doing with mealworms and began grabbing them one at a time and taking them to the rooster. Rooster quickly caught on and met her halfway to gently peck between her fingers for the eats. Daughter got to be feeling really important doing what her daddy does. Only about 2 hours required to get bird calm enough to be picked up without trying to get away. Daughter in the end helped a lot.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    <smiles>

3. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Is your line that easy to tame or is daughter that good?
    Scott

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's such a sweet story. I can just picture it.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG] with the pulling tail feathers out!

I sure wish it were feasible for you to travel the country giving seminars on how to deal with roosters.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I travel to different venues showing chicken biology to kids and adult alike. Boundaries pushed sometime with respect to birds and the bees. Even when showing folks first hand a particular concept, if they have a different idea they are slow to take it in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by