Preppin for babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MrsHatz, Mar 23, 2015.

1. MrsHatz

MrsHatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Coventry, RI
    Ok So i have been wanting chicks for forever and I think I got this somewhat down, now I know most of these can change depending on the chicks themselves but this is what we have:

Brooder:

96 quart clear tote (or the biggest clear tote we can find)
    red heat lamp
    water & food tray
    medicated chick feed
    pine shavings & paper towels
    cardboard to block the cats view & a small box inside for the to "hide"
    Chicken wire to cover a portion of the top and 1/4 of one side (to increase ventilation)
    Thermometer
    Electrolytes
    chick grit

After two weeks
    we add roost
    marbles
    toys
    treats

After 6 weeks
    fermentation of food (few times a week)

After 8 (or when the weather breaks)

Outside into completely enclosed coop and run (full chicken wire all the way around).

Chicks will be here week of April 10th they are already vaccinated against
    Marek's disease.

Are we missing anything or we off to a good start?

I feel like we are expecting babies all over again!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    So exciting! I just got my Meyer ship notification, love having little babies! It sounds like you are off to a good start. One suggestion I'd make is use hardware cloth/mesh on the run and coop and not chicken wire. Chicken wire is designed to keep chickens in, but not predators out.

1 person likes this.
  3. havery

havery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    I can't think of anything right now that you're missing!

I will say, though, this year is my first year doing watering nipples instead of a normal waterer and I have been extremely pleased. I don't have to clean out the water 4x a day (their scratching around will inevitably fill the dish with pine shavings and poop) and that is worth so much more than I paid for them lol! The youngest in my brooder are a week old and they're all doing great with them, and I plan to try to get my existing flock to using them as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Not missing anything except other alternatives to the brooder and heating method you've selected.

I'm getting my next batch of six chicks in May. Up until now, I've brooded indoors using a heat lamp, although my brooders have been getting more and more creative. (Last time I utilized a plant gro-window as a brooder with high success.)

This time, however, I'm installing the six two or three-day old chicks, as soon as they're delivered, in the grow-out pen in my chicken run. They will start their lives right out in the same run as the adult flock, although protected from them for the time being. The heat source will be a heating pad and "chick-cave" where it simulates a broody hen. The heat temp inside the cave will be close to 90F to begin with, and it will be close in so the heating pad touches the chicks backs. The chicks will have full run of their grow-out pen and will crawl into the chick cave when they need warming, just as they would with a mama hen.

As the chicks get older, the chick cave is raised up and the temperature is lowered on the heating pad control, and around three or four weeks, the chicks will be ready to move into their coop, transitioning into the coop with the chick cave heating pad until they no longer are sleeping inside it.

No more dusty brooders in the house. More freedom and space for the chicks. Quicker feathering out because they aren't subjected to a constant heated environment. And they have been integrating into the flock from the start, picking up immunities from disease, and sealing their ranks in the pecking order as they slowly learn to mingle with the adults.

Details on the chick cave/heating pad method, also known as "mama heating pad", can be found on this forum.

5. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't have to wait to ferment the feed if you don't want. Ours ate it from day one.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by