Prepping for 1st time chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by painter chick, Jun 15, 2008.

1. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Hello all, I'd appreciate some help getting supplies for my first chicks on the 23rd (!). I have a large water trough for my brooder, light, thermometers, waters, feeders, pine shavings and towels. I'm headed to town this week to get chick feed (medicated), grit, and I'd like to be prepaired for most contingencies so are there vitamins, medicines or any other things I should have on hand?
    Were about 25 miles from town and I'd like to avoid any emergency trips once the babies arrive, (especially with gas at $4.35) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Hi, and welcome! Sounds like you're well prepared. I have three different age groups, the oldest are 7 or 8 weeks now.
    I haven't lost any, and haven't need any medicines or anything.

You mentioned a 'trough' for water...just make sure it's not too deep, the little ones can drown in it, place some rocks or marbles in the bottom to prevent this (I may have misread that part of your post)

This is a great community and I know you'll love having chickies. post pics when you get them!

I'm sure some more experienced folks will chime in and tell if you you're missing any supplies.

[​IMG]

edited to add: oh! I just realized you meant a water trough to house the chickies in, not to give them water:rolleyes: sorry about that!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by