Prepping for New Chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redsoxs, Jul 29, 2011.

1. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Newbie chicken person here. I am procesing the last of a group of birds I got in the spring. Started with 35 and the final few meet the freezer in the morning. I have a few more meaties as well as a dozen hen chicks coming in from a hatchery about the middle of August. Do I need to do anything special to the coop and run area for these new birds? I speak in terms of sanitation. They will be raised in my basement for a couple or three weeks before going to the coop. I'm a little paranoid wondering about the new ones picking up diseases from the old (the old group was and is healthy as far as I could tell). So, any special precautions?? Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many would wipe down with a weak bleach solution, which kills a lot of stuff. Or you could use a weak ammonia solution, as ammonia kills cocci but bleach doesn't. Or you could thin your wallet a bit and buy some Oxine. Or you could just change the litter and call it done. I'm sure there is a wide range of opinions on here about this.

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Don't forget sunshine! Take out anything that is removable and let it dry in the sunshine. You could also wait for a month or two before restocking your flock.

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

N&MSchroeder :

Quote:x2 [​IMG]

I like this idea! I was thinking of renting a pressurwe washer, just to get the corners extreme clean. Sunshine sure sounds good!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by