Prepping to raise three chickens here in Massachusetts

farmersteph

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Hi all.. I am reading up with my three books. Will be purchasing my coupe in a month or so. I've always wanted to raise chickens and now I have the opportunity since I'm retired! Does anybody know if the tractor supply stores in central Massachusetts, get the type of chickens I've been reading about such as Easter Eggars, Rhode Island Reds, cream leg bar, barred rock? There are plenty of farms here in central Massachusetts. Baby chicks come to the store about mid February. Getting way excited!! If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate the help. ..Thanks

Welcome to our forum!

I'd strongly recommend the article linked in my sig on ventilation, which also gives some idea of the space chickens need Another article written by the same person, who lives in Canada: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures

The biggest mistake most noobies make is allowing too little space. Up north, even for just a few chickens, you'd do best with a shed sized building. Sheds can easily be converted into coops -- easier if it's wood, of course.

Hopefully your TSC will carry large fowl, smaller combed breeds, which will handle the cold best.

Last edited:
T
Welcome to our forum!

I'd strongly recommend the article linked in my sig on ventilation, which also gives some idea of the space chickens need   Another article written by the same person, who lives in Canada:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures

The biggest mistake most noobies make is allowing too little space.  Up north, even for just a few chickens, you'd do best with a shed sized building.  Sheds can easily be converted into coops -- easier if it's wood, of course.

Hopefully your TSC will carry large fowl, smaller combed breeds, which will handle the cold best.

Thank you Judy I will certainly watch the video.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I would guess Mass. has a lot more winter to deal with probably even worse than for us in mid-west. Have you visited the very good "Learning Center," and Raising Backyard chickens forum. They will get you off to a great start.

Welcome back to BYC. Glad you decided to re-join our flock. Cream Legbars are unlikely to be sold by your tractor supply stores, but EEs, RIRs, and Barred Rocks are common chicks carried by tractor supply stores. Also you may be able to purchase some Black or Red Sex Links (or both), which are egg laying machines, from the tractor supply stores. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicks.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you joined us. Good luck on your new adventure.

Back
Top Bottom