1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prepping

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cameron03, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Cameron03

Cameron03 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Does anyone use there chickens in a prepping type manor?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Any self sufficiency could be labeled "prepping"
    I prefer to just call it "living"

1 person likes this.
  3. Cameron03

Cameron03 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    true but what i mean is do you do it specifically for self reliance? What breeds do you prefer? and and do you include other types of fowl?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I do it more for enjoyment, and the "self reliance " is a fringe benefit.

It's nice just watching the birds roam around the yard, and the fresh eggs are wonderful.
    We generally keep 15-20 birds at any given time, and give away all the eggs we can't eat to friends and neighbors.

I've had great luck with Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and Black Australorps

We've also raised King pigeons for meat and as "yard ornaments", as well as rabbits and sheep for meat

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I suppose I am.It was just called living smart when I was young.I dislike the media view of preppers as foolish folks.What is so bad about being prepared for a variety of circumstances?

I sure wish I had prepared for a week of no heat in single digit temps,or no gas or water for 3 days when the water tank flooded the house.How about stuck at home with sick family and no food/drinks?I learned the hard way,and regret not keeping up with what I saw as a child.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I just like my hens and do not consider it part of prepping.Maybe if I butchered them for meals.Sometimes I even give away all the eggs.My neighbor is 95 and I love sharing with her.

7. Kakota

Kakota Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Well I'm getting into it, and I look for the poultry that will do good with the enviorment and predators, I personally like the Malay breed, most people say they are agrresive but there not, its just the bad rap, also the person I got mine from his birds lay a good number of eggs. Also if you let them free range most hawks won't go after them because of the size. But there not the best for cold weather.

The other breed would be the Russian Orloff chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by