prequel to broodiness? ( is broodiness a word?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilBizzy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Now, don't be pulling me apart for this-it's an odd question, but I have an odd brain! I have a hen thats a little over 4 months old that started "assuming the position" when I come near her. There are no roosters. ( Well, there are 3 or 4 baby roos in a seperate section of the yard)
    I've never had a chicken do that, and shes the only one out of 4 doing this.

I'm wondering if this might indicate a hen who will become broody later on? My silly mind was thinking if shes so ready to submit to mating that maybe it means she wants to be a mom. Is there anything that happens when a hen is younger that might point to broodiness later?

*edited for clarification and spelling error*

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    interesting question...like the word...prequal whether it is a word or not it is now. [​IMG] I have had hens do that but don't know if it is indicative to broodiness?

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    The word is prequel, and it's the opposite of sequel. LOL, you had the right idea!!! You never know, that may be a sign of broodiness, but more than likely just ready to be mated. I know not all my hens do that, so I'll have to keep an eye on the ones that do just in case they go broody!!!

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL, I just realized I spelled it wrong, and wasn't clear on which word I was talking about. SO I corrected the title LOL:D

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Tis a good thing I caught myself and remembered the age of some of the readers here. So I will dance this one slow. Chickens as well as humans don't all wait til maturity to mate. What your hen may be doing is submitting to you, as a dog will expose is belly to its master.

6. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I may be totally off, well actually I probably am [​IMG] but I think the "egg squat" usually means that eggs are on the way

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    yes,she is getting ready to lay eggs but it doesnt mean she will go broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by