Preschool incubating project - What incubator, and ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Josie, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    My daughter's class wants to incubate eggs, but after my disastrous experience with my homemade incubator, ( Day 21, ulcer, and Day 22? ),
    I think I might buy one.

Two Restrictions:
    1. Custodian says no elements like in the Little Giant
    2. Teacher can't turn eggs more than twice a day

Is the Brower top hatch any good?
    Any other good choices?

Your input would be great!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    A brinsea or a turn-x would be your best bet, thats what our school uses. And they sell them in classroom kit on eNasco.

3. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I've seen the turn-x on ebay for about $100ish.
    I love that it is easy to see inside, what kind of heating does it have?

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    hmm, i think it has a coil, but i dont think that you would have to worry with the hard plastic and a fan. Thats what our school uses.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm doing hatching in the class but I teach 6th grade so it's a bit easier. I have a Hovabator and a Little Giant the LG has never been out of the box and I just hatched my duck in the Hova. I'm trying out an R-com 20 right now to see if I want to buy it but those suckers are expensive! The smaller ones would be less expensive, only hold 3 or 4 eggs and I believe they heat with heated air. I'd love to know how your project goes when you do it.
    The first incubator my class used we made out of a styrofoam cooler with a lamp kit and 40 watt bulb. We cut out the front and put a glass window in it. The turning is the hard part, it's not big enough for an automatic turner so I had to do it by hand.
    Kate

6. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Do you have any ideas for age appropriate activities?
    Has anyone tried the Brower Top Hatch?

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Here are some links I love! My 6th graders are working with our pre kinder and we are using these plans:

http://www.first-school.ws/activities/animals/birds/eggs-hatching-chicken.htm

http://www.ghbooks.com/activity/activity.cfm?bookid=18325&page=56

http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/life20.html

We read stories like Chicken Little and other chicken oriented stories. We talk about where eggs come from and if you ask the little ones which came first the chicken or the egg you will have such an interesting discussion!! Of course you ask that after they understand that babies do indeed come from the eggs and grow up to be chickens. Show them pictures of eggs, new hatchlings, and on up to adults before you do the hatch so they know what to expect. Flash cards you can make yourself with an egg, a cracked egg, an egg showing a baby, then the baby emerging, and a couple more stages showing it out and maturing can be used as a sequencing project for even the youngest child. If they put three in order at first it's such an accomplishment and they get so excited! Almost as excited as I get lol! If I can help let me know, but I'll probably learn more from you!
    Kate

8. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Here is a website that you might be able to find something on, i love it. I couldnt remember what it was calld, but i remembered they had a chick cam, so i searched it on google DUH CHICK CAM guess what came up? Then i remembered it was egg cam [​IMG]

9. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Murray McMurray sells a"Classroom Incubator And Brooder Kit". The incubator has an automatic turner. It comes with a book called " Guide To Better Hatching", a Chick Development Poster, Candling Device, Brooder, Waterer, Feeder, 5lbs. of Chick Feed, 1lb. of Grit and 4 oz. of Quick Chick. Brooder Lamp and Thermometer. It costs $321 [​IMG]
    They also have a more expensive "R-Com Classroom Kit" for $394 It is a very small 3 egg incubator. VERY COOL! I would like to get one for myself.

10. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I would love the r-com, but I was hoping to spend less. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by