preserving cauliflower greens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by familychickenman, Dec 17, 2010.

1. familychickenman

familychickenman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    I was able to obtain about 10 garbage bags of cauliflower greens from a local farmer. My flock of 30 chickens absolutely loves these cauliflower greens. Currently I have them stored outside, and with the cold weather they seem to be keeping fine so far. Any ideas on how to preserve them so that I can use it throughout the winter? I live in Maryland so the temp is not always below freezing in the Winter.

thanks

2. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    First off, welcome.

As a fellow MD'er, I'm familiar with the weather....but not preserving greens, sorry.
    How bout either cellar, unheated section of basement, maybe shaded outbuilding or something like that?? If it is in trash bags, I would probably open it, to let humity and moisture excape.

I would think you need to find chilled, but not frozen. Not sure how they would be when thawed?....Just mark where you put them if outside....might get lost in snow...LOL...if anything like last year.

What section of MD are you in??

TNT

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I recently tasted fried kale, it was good.
    I wonder if you couldn't deep fry the leaves (quickly in hot oil, don't brown), let them sit on paper towels and bag them when they were perfectly cool.
    You might need to check for moisture from time to time....but they're crispy, healthy and preserved.

4. familychickenman

familychickenman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    thank you both for your responses. I am in the Northern part of Harford County. So far I am keeping the greens in open trash bags like you suggested and they are in the shed portion of our coop. Hopefully they keep. I considered making silage out of in like I do with lawn clippings, but that seemed like a lot of work to chop them up and bag them up. I also was not sure how well they would ferment in the winter. Fried kale sounds yummy, although I don't think I feel like frying up that much greens for the chickens.

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I guess I should have read your post more carefully.
    Yes, I think 10 bags would be too much to fry!
    Sorry [​IMG]
    Carrie Lynn

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by