Preserving Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yanks26, Jan 12, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Just out of curiousity, how long can eggs last and still be hatched before they go bad? I plan on going down the road and picking up some fertile eggs right out of the nest. Now once I pick them up, can I leave them in an egg carton for a while at room temp and then incubate them? What are the rules for this kind of preservation and "expiration date"?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    about a week...rock them once or twice a day

3. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Then how do they survive in the mail? And what do you mean by "rock them"?

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Typically in the mail can be dangerous...you loose many...sometimes...to make mailing work you have ship them within a couple days of hatching...priority mail tham...2- 3 days...rest them 1 day...should be a max of about a week

rock...tilt them left....then tilt them right...tilt them left...then right...just like you would an egg in the incubator...store them point down

5. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Ok so I store them point down. But when I put them in the incubator I place them point up right?

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    nope...point down always

7. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    I have some eggs I have been stacking up for about a week now, someof them are almost purfectly oval shaped, how do I know which way is "pointed" on those? [​IMG]

8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    flip a coin...I have had that issue before myself...you just have to pick and if it frustrates you too much...cook it! [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Sometimes my Marans eggs are so round it's hard to tell the big from the little end so I usually candle them to see if I can see the air cell. If I can't, I incubate them about a week on their sides and the re-candle. By that time you should be able to see the air cell better.

10. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:I'd lay those on their sides.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by