Preserving eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by FosteRoo, Nov 18, 2009.

1. FosteRoo

FosteRoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    A long time ago, I read about a way that raw eggs can be kept (for eating) for months or more without refrigeration, maybe discovered in countries that don't have electricity. Seems like it involved some kind of "blanching," and not a coating on the shell. Anyone know what I'm referring to? It could be nice for backpacking trips, at least.

One way I have sort of "preserved" hard boiled eggs is to soak peeled ones in the leftover pickling juice from pickle jars for a couple days. Gives them a nice sort of chewy texture, and they are yummy! The brand with the yellowish color is my favorite (Fahrman's??). How about any other pickled egg recipes?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This article may help you on storing eggs. The key is to not wash the eggs unless you refrigerate them. When the egg is laid, it has a layer on it called bloom that helps keep bacteria from entering it. If you wash the egg, you remove the bloom.

Although we did have electricity when I was growing up, Mom did not store eggs in the refrigerator. Theywere kept in a bucket under the sink.

Storing Eggs
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

3. FosteRoo

FosteRoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2009
    Sequim, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by