Preserving feathers

Knittycat

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Bay City, TX
I processed my rowdy rooster today. I skinned him rather than plucked him because my father in law wanted some feathers for fly fishing. So, How do I preserve the feathers and the skin they're on so I can mail them?

you will want to remove all the fat and membrane that you can. I would rub borax on the inside (flesh side) of the skin to dry and cure. The skin should look frosted when your done. Borax is found in any grocery store. Lay the skin on a flat surface and weight it down so that it dries flat. Otherwise it will look like a ruffles potato chip. I would suggest using a surface that is either absorbable or breathable so that moisture has a way to escape and dries faster.

Last edited:
Also you will know that it is done when the skin is very rigid, or you can't feel any cold dampness. Oils from fat will never dry. If you have a oil problems aply more borax. It will help absorb oils. It should be done in a week or less. if not move the skin to a place with lots of airflow.

Last edited:
I can't believe you asked this question! I just went out to feed - and this was what I was going to search/write about when I came inside.
smile.png
Excellent!

So once the skin is dry - You can simply pluck the feathers out of the skin?

Quote:
Yep! Or if you are going to store them for fly tying, you can just leave them on the skin. As long as the skin is cured, you shouldn't have any rotting problems.

Quote:
Most people don't remove the feathers from the pelt until they are needed. Keeps them nicer and 'organized' (hah, well, kinda true, they aren't going anywhere!).

I've suggested this to people who want to buy feathers from me - but many of the crafters are squeamish about seeing it still attached to the skin.
roll.png

They don't have any problem chewin' it off of a crispy chicken leg though!

I used the Borax method. It dried it within a couple of days. I changed out the Borax after the first 2 days and replaced with fresh. I only saved the hackles and saddle.

I saved only the hackles from the polish I just did. I nailed the skin to a board with the skin side up and covered it in a layer of salt. Left it in the garage to dry for a week and it's perfect. Whether you use Borax or salt or something else, the main thing is to get it dry and get all the flesh and fat off that skin. Now since I dont' tie flys or know anyone that does, I'm not sure what to do with it LOL. Might try ebay.

Back
Top Bottom