1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preserving feathers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Knittycat, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I processed my rowdy rooster today. I skinned him rather than plucked him because my father in law wanted some feathers for fly fishing. So, How do I preserve the feathers and the skin they're on so I can mail them?

2. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    you will want to remove all the fat and membrane that you can. I would rub borax on the inside (flesh side) of the skin to dry and cure. The skin should look frosted when your done. Borax is found in any grocery store. Lay the skin on a flat surface and weight it down so that it dries flat. Otherwise it will look like a ruffles potato chip. I would suggest using a surface that is either absorbable or breathable so that moisture has a way to escape and dries faster.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Also you will know that it is done when the skin is very rigid, or you can't feel any cold dampness. Oils from fat will never dry. If you have a oil problems aply more borax. It will help absorb oils. It should be done in a week or less. if not move the skin to a place with lots of airflow.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I can't believe you asked this question! I just went out to feed - and this was what I was going to search/write about when I came inside. [​IMG] Excellent!

So once the skin is dry - You can simply pluck the feathers out of the skin?

5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Awesome. I now have feather leather curing on top of my fridge!
    [​IMG]

6. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Quote:Yep! Or if you are going to store them for fly tying, you can just leave them on the skin. As long as the skin is cured, you shouldn't have any rotting problems.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Most people don't remove the feathers from the pelt until they are needed. Keeps them nicer and 'organized' (hah, well, kinda true, they aren't going anywhere!).

8. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I've suggested this to people who want to buy feathers from me - but many of the crafters are squeamish about seeing it still attached to the skin. [​IMG]

They don't have any problem chewin' it off of a crispy chicken leg though!

9. ChickenboyNmom

ChickenboyNmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    South Lyon
    I used the Borax method. It dried it within a couple of days. I changed out the Borax after the first 2 days and replaced with fresh. I only saved the hackles and saddle.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I saved only the hackles from the polish I just did. I nailed the skin to a board with the skin side up and covered it in a layer of salt. Left it in the garage to dry for a week and it's perfect. Whether you use Borax or salt or something else, the main thing is to get it dry and get all the flesh and fat off that skin. Now since I dont' tie flys or know anyone that does, I'm not sure what to do with it LOL. Might try ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by