1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preserving First Eggs...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Dec 31, 2008.

1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I'm thinking of offering a special discount to BYC members to get their first eggs turned into an ART EGG.

Before I work out the details, I would like to know if anyone is interested.

Basically you would blow out 2-3 of your chooks first eggs, or eggs that they are now laying & send them to me. The extra eggs are in case of breakage when shipping to me. I would then decorate & return ONE egg to you.

You would get to choose either a pattern I already do or custom colours of your choice & let me make a unique pattern for you.

Here are some examples of my Polymer Clay Eggs that I sell at shows & fairs. Normally these sell in the $30 range.

I would be doing these custom eggs for BYC members for $19 plus actual shipping.

If their seems to be an interest in this project, I will post patterns & further info, & probably start around Feb-March.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Gosh - those are nice! But what about a 'special' egg? I lost my barred rock this summer and have her last egg, I didn't even blow it out yet. I would love to have her last egg done like that.

Maybe I could send an armoured truck to you with her little egg all packed safe and sound? [​IMG]

Seriously, how would I send one egg and make sure it won't break?

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    What a nice idea! And you are absolutely talented!! I LOVE those pretty eggs.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Those are beautiful. I love the little chicks and the shot glasses too.

Best of luck with the venture.

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    you would package a blown egg the same way as fertile eggs for shipping. Bubble wrap & packing peanuts or crunched newspaper.

The problem with your egg, is it will be next to impossible to blow out at this point. A lot of the moisture will have evaporated through the shell & the yolk will have gone bad. It will be stinky once you put a hole in it to blow out & the contents will be thick & hard to remove without breaking the egg.

It might be possible to put holes in both ends & then soak in bleach solution for 24 hrs, & then attempt to blow it out.

I've never tried this, so I don't know for sure.

6. LittleChickenRacingTeam

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Quote:So how many do you want???? [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Wow! Those look great!

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Or you could wait another year or so until the inside is completely dried out. Eggs don't usually go bad unless they are dirty or cracked. Eventually they will just be completely dry inside, not rotten. If your egg doesn't smell now, it's probably not going to.

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    LCRT - the egg has been in the fridge all this time. I guess it would still dry out? Maybe I should just leave it as it is then.

I don't want my memory of her to be a stinky egg.

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Those are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by