1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Preserving heritage turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by WalnutHill, Aug 11, 2014.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Greetings. I am raising heritage turkeys for table and for conservation. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase an assortment of hatching eggs from a free range heritage flock that could not be identified by color type before hatch.

I have several Lilac toms and hens and a Mottled Black hen. All these birds are destined for Thanksgiving processing unless sold in advance. A pair of Lilac would run $120 at current size (3 months). By November they will fetch twice that as meat birds. I only wish to sell the best pair of the Lilacs, and they are nice birds. The Mottled Black hen sells alone for $50.

I also have some purebred Narragansett to sell. These are top quality young birds. They are descended from Porter stock on both sides and have been selected for conformation, size and color. The tom is from an April 13 hatch and is show quality and to Standards. The hen is a June 12 hatch and will be a nice bird with proper light hen coloring. These two as a future breeding pair for spring 2015 are for sale for $150.

I am in SE Michigan and sale would be pickup only. Prices are valid as of 8/11/14 and will go up as the birds grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by