Presidential Pardon question

Are you asking why they were BBW Toms? Because I think that's just because BBW turkeys are considered standard eating turkeys. They're they kind of turkey most people end up eating. Hence the reason for them being pardoned? Toms would be because they're more showy. The toms, Mac and Cheese, are said to have been raised antibiotic-free. If you watch the video with the farmer, it appears that these two may have been his most dominant toms (possibly used for breeding?). I have no idea how the farm was selected. Chances are it was just someone's job, and they either knew someone, contacted someone, or used some specific keywords in a google search. But yeah, I don't think they've ever pardoned any others besides BBWs.

Edit: I went to the farm's website out of curiosity and found this:
"
Each year the honor of raising and presenting the National Thanksgiving Turkey is bestowed upon the chairman of the National Turkey Federation. This year’s chairman is Mr. Gary Cooper, an owner and the COO of Cooper Farms, a family-owned turkey company in Ohio. A special flock of turkeys was hatched in July in eager anticipation of an invitation from the White House and President Obama, and since then has been carefully raised by Mr. Cooper’s son Cole."

So that explains quite a bit.

Last edited:
Interesting and thanks for the info. I have white hollands and it always amazes me that people say they didn't know there are white turkeys even though BBWs are on TV news every year. Would be nice to have heritage breeds pardoned. Maybe a Bourbon Red or Sweetgrass for a change of pace.

There were some other breeds in the group that were raised, but they picked BBWs. Probably more to do with tradition. I'd love to see a Bourbon Red get pardoned. So many people I know don't realize there are other breeds besides "wild" and "white" production turkeys. We don't have any turkeys right now, but I always wanted to get some Bourbon Reds. Maybe someday.

Perhaps satanic ritual?

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/what-w...-weirdness-of-the-presidential-turkey-pardon/

Why does a turkey need to be pardoned in the first place?
What evil thing did it do that a pardon is required?

So here it goes.
A heritage turkey is a natural god created animal.
It does not need a pardon for it is part of the kingdom by nature.
It has domicile rights by birth.
It lives for 10 to 15 years, and can breed naturally while being a very strong tough bird that can handle seasonal conditions.
These birds are not used for the ritual of the Presidential pardon.

A Broad Breasted Brooder (common commercial hybrid white Turkey) is a man made creation.
Created for profit which has many bad side effects to the animals health. (cripples easy, super short life of 2 years, can't breed by itself because of its deformed body. etc)
Its a mutation.
It has no domicile rights by birth.
It is property by creation.
This bird is the one always used for the ritual.

So are they pardoning mans mutated creations (in general) and not the animal itself?
It looks that way to me.

retlaw wrote: A Broad Breasted Brooder (common commercial hybrid white Turkey) is a man made creation.

Sir John Saunders Sebright was a "Satanist"? ;)

It is a pardon in name only. It is, rather, a "blessing" on the efficiency of the "market" and a marketing & "narrative control" tool for the big producers (they always send out a "small" producer who raises the "chosen" in telegenic digs, with only a few hundred turks at most). "National Turkey Federation"? You have to email them to get a list of members. However: https://www.uspoultry.org/economic_data/docs/USTurkeyCompanies.pdf

What do they do? Lobby, of course: http://www.eatturkey.com/about-us

Member Services

Congressional & Regulatory Affairs
Legislative and regulatory insight and response on behalf of NTF members
Assistance resolving specific challenges created by legislative or regulatory action
Timely analysis of legislative and regulatory matters

All heritage varieties are "man made", bred and developed from the now extinct M.G.G. taken to Europe by the Spanish.

No fan of BB's, but that's capitalism at its most obnoxiously efficient

Just here breeding mutt "imps" by Royals out of Slates

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom