Pressure Canner Problems???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mikenandrea, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mikenandrea

mikenandrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    Ok.. I purchased an All American - metal to metal pressure canner back in the summer.. I used it 2 times.. Both times I used it, the lid would have to be beat off with a rubber mallet. It was the oversized canner.. Do any of you have this problem with your larger metal to metal canner?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't have that type so can't really comment on your specific problem. I would try contacting the manufacturer, phone call or e-mail, and ask them about it. The manufacturer has very likely heard of this before and a reputable manufacturer does not want the bad word of mouth publicity they get with problems with their stuff.

Good luck!

3. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have never heard of this type. I stil have my mom's old one.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I just got the All-American. Haven't used it yet, but you need to put Vaseline (petroleum jelly)on the metal to lube the seal so to speak. After using the metal to metal after several times, it gets easier....just going by my manual here. But it does say to lube the metal to metal.

5. mikenandrea

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    Yep.. Lubed it with vaseline both times.. Still had to be beat off.. Hmmm...

6. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have an All American and love it. I do recall it sticking the first couple of times, but it got easier. Make sure you read your manual as it does address this issue. Always let the cooker cool and pressure return to zero before trying to remove the lid. Also, you should not apply Vasaline everytime you use it. It will cause a build up that can also make it stick.

7. mikenandrea

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    Quote:So how often do you put it on yours? and what size do you have?

8. bonnylass79

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have the 921 (21 1/2 qt). I apply Vasaline about every third or fourth time. You can usually feel if the Vasaline is still there. I've used it to can soups and to make a number of roasts. I got it last year for Christmas.

9. bonnylass79

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Double post

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  10. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Other then no gasket to worry about what do you like about them???
    You have me intrigued.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by