pressure canner questions...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Queen Scoot, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    Just bought a pressure canner yesterday,i water bath can si i know nothing about this!! please help!!! thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, get a good pressure canning book. The Ball Blue Book seems to be the bible on this, but there are other good ones.

Pay attention to adjusting your pressure for altitude. The higher you are, the higher the pressure needs to be. With a water bath, you process longer to adjust for altitude. With a pressure canner, you raise the pressure. The idea with the pressure canner is that you can get the temperature hot enough to kill certain microbes so the food does not have to be acidic or sweet to not spoil. Pressure is how this is controlled. Never let the pressure drop below the minimum once you start your timing.

You don't have to cover the jars with water, but there should be a minimum line on your canner for the minimum amount of water to use. I always overfill a little with water as this seems to help keep the temperature and pressure more stable. No need to overdo it, just a little more than the minimum.

When you are finished, let it cool down on its own without releasing the pressure. If you release the pressure too fast, the stuff inside can come out or you can lose your seal. I generally wait until the pressure drops, wait two more minutes, then take the lid off and remove the jars to cool. If you leave them in too long after the pressure has dropped, the stuff can overcook and get even more mushy.

3. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    ok thanks i hop i can do this!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for the information Ridgerunner - I also am looking at getting a pressure canner, and I appreciate your response.

(Hi Queen Scoot! [​IMG])

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    What kind of canner did you get? I won a Presto 23qt on eBay last week and it was just delivered on Tuesday. I have been so busy since that I've only had time to pull it out of the box, give it the once over and put it back in [​IMG]. I'm looking forward to getting started on it though. I've never even water bath canned and my mother and grandmother didn't can either, so I am learning this from the ground up. I've been reading on the "What are you canning today?" thread, as well as a thread on SufficientSelf to try and get some ideas. It may be a few months before I really start getting a lot of use out of it as my main idea in getting it was to can the excess produce from my garden this year. However I'd like to practice with it between now and then so will be looking for bargains in the produce department.

I did follow a tip from a BYC member and picked up a kit when I was at the store yesterday that contains jar lifter, head measurer, canning funnel etc. Have yet to get the Ball Bible. They don't sell it in my grocery store and I haven't made it to a bookstore or the library yet.

6. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? I've seen the Ball Blue Book there, and sometimes they have canning supplies to. I expect it's a seasonal item for them. If you haven't canned at all, you might want to start with something in a water bath to get a feel for how things are supposed to go, like jam or tomatoes.

You can use your pressure canner for water bath canning too, just use it like a big stock pot and don't put the lid or the weight on. Well, set the lid on to get it up to temperature, but don't tighten it like for pressure.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oooohhhh, I'm headed to TSC tomorrow anyway - will take a look and see if they have the Ball book while I'm there!

8. alabama49

alabama49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    east central Alabama
    Speaking of pressure cookers---I have a very old 4 qt cooker that was my mothers. I need a rubber gasket for the lid but can't find one locally. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could find a gasket? I really hate to retire the cooker-it is so much thicker and heavier than my other 2 that are very much newer! [​IMG]

9. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    Check Amazon, I know I've seen gaskets for Prestos there.

10. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    :)If anyone is going to start using a preowned or older model canner it is important to get your pressure gauge checked. Our local extension office does it for free. I have an older presto canner and I order my parts on line. I have been canning for 30 years and I still learn new things. I always have the Ball Blue Book handy. Our local Wal-mart has it for $9.99 but sometimes at the end of the season they sell it cheaper. Also the library is a great place to get canning books - just make sure they are updated. I love looking through them for new tips and recipies. Just remember caution and to take your time. But it is well worth it and so satisfying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by