Pressure-cooked chicken

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Nov 14, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We raise meat birds and sell them whole and cut-up. When we cut up birds, we keep the backs to sell separately. We often end up with extra backs that go in our freezer for making stock later on. I am wondering what to do with the leftover bones and such after making stock (there is always a fair bit of meat as well that isn't worth combing through the bones to save). If I got a pressure cooker and put that leftover stuff in until it was mushy, would that be something I could mix in with our dog food? It could save us money on dog food as well as use those parts of the bird that would otherwise go to waste.

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    never ever ever feed cooked bones. But chicken backs (raw) make great teeth cleaners for dogs. Also check and see if there is a raw food or BARF co-op in your area. They are always looking for new sources of feed!

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know not to feed cooked bones. That's why I was asking about putting them in a pressure cooker until they are mush.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm not sure that you could cook bones to enough of a mush to remove all danger of splinters. raw bones by themselves are very soft and mushy and the cooking actually makes them harder and more brittle, so I'm not sure it would work.

I mis-read your post the first time, sorry.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Frugal, the awesome dude who has the famous (and graphic) processing post in the meat section stickies also has his recipe for making an awesome chicken stock . At the end of that explanation/pictoral, he says how he gets the leftover mush (which includes the bones) and "I'll run this through my meat grinder and feed it to my dogs." Check that thread out.

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks! I figure I can put it through my food processor if it isn't quite broken up enough. Wish I had a meat grinder...

7. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I always cook turkey and chicken carcassas for around an hour in the pressure cooker to make stock and to turn the bones into mush. They DO get very soft in that hour and can easily be smooshed with your fingers. My dogs LOVE it!! The bones are so soft there is NO danger of splintering.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  8. LoveMyFeatherBabies

LoveMyFeatherBabies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    Very interesting conversation...I'm glad I came across it [​IMG]

I'm sure my dogs would love this as well!!

Carolinagirl58, I have family in Lugoff maybe you know them! Jeff and Judy Branham?

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:

I see them at Goodwill for just a few $$ if you don't mind the hand cranked type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by