Pressure Treated Lumber

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poneal, Jul 15, 2010.

1. poneal

poneal New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    Is it OK to use green, pressure treated lumber for the frame of my coop. I'm building my first ever, and picking up the hens this weekend.
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC and the addiction of chickens
    You will get all sorts of answers to this question but yes you can use pressure treated wood for framing. Here in Florida if you don't use PT wood it will rot in less than a month. Try to pick out the dryest lumber they have. If it is really wet then I will usually hose it down to help wash away some of the surface treatment mainly so it doesn't stink so bad. Just don't use Cedar around your chickens, the oils in the wood can kill them.
  3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    PT is fine, and you can use cedar wood, just not cedar shavings.
  4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    The new PT is copper treated so make sure your nails are galvos, it will say so onthe box; suitable for all treated lumber. The smell lingers in an enclosed area for ever unless it is completely dried then it becomes petrafied. I use it for foundation, joists, and fence posts.
  5. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Happy to hear you can use PT lumber which I plan to use on any parts close to the ground. However, I have lots of well dried rough cut cedar I'd like to use above ground and need a little more clarification on the safety of this product around chickens. Anyone with actual experience in this area sure would be appreciated. As for cedar shavings I can appreciate the problems this could cause but framing I'm not so sure. Thanks.
  6. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    I just made coop #2 with a PT base. Everything else is spruce, outside treated with Sikkens. In New England you need PT or Cedar and I just can't afford cedar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by