Pressure treated wood 4 coop?

LongRider

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Hello new here. Have read all the FAQ's and learning center pages so hopefully I won't be asking to many questions that have been asked a hundred times before.
We are just starting to consider chickens for eggs than later for meat. Thought we would start with 4 to 6 hens and maybe a rooster. The only source I have for chickens sells chicks in the spring. I assume that is the norm. So prepping a home for our future chickens is our fall winter project.
First on the agenda is building a coop and so comes my first question. We have a stack of pressure treated wood and old steel roof that I plan on using. Is old pressure treated wood OK to use for a coop? I know that pressure treated is toxic if eaten. Don't know if chickens eat / peck at wood

Chickens don't chew on wood the way parrots do, so the modern ACQ based treated wood is fine to use in building a coop (I just wouldn't use it for a roost). If your treated wood is old, though, before around 2003 pressure treated wood contained an arsenic compound. Many people were concerned about these chemicals leaching into the soil, etc.

my oldest coop is about 25yrs old...floor, framing and roof made from pressure treated wood, all exposed to the birds. No problems with the birds, have never seen any pecked wood...

I have pressure treated to prevent rot at the ground level but before I built considered geting certified organic and the guidelines for being organic says no pressure treated lumber.

Quote:
Same here, used PT wood for piers as well as wall and floor joists so its all covered with wallboard and flooring and the chickens don't have access to the underneath of the coop. The exception is the plywood flooring which is also PT but covered with pine shavings and isn't exactly something the birds would bother with.

Thank you all for the prompt responses. The intent is to use pressure treated wood for the entire project as I have a big stack of 2X6 from the old deck. Being able to use the pressure treated will save me a ton of cash and allow me to build a bullet proof structure. Not even my house has 2 inch thick siding. Figured I would make a lap joint on the 2X6 to keep it air tight. Any further thoughts and opinions are most welcome. Thanks for the assist

I'd use what you already have LongRider. Post some pics as you break ground for your coop! Oh, BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom