1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pressure treated wood in brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi all!

I've been using scraps of wood blocks to raise my food and water in the brooder to keep shavings out. Hubby has some that are pressure treated wood, but I am worried about that because of the chemicals used to pressure treat it. Am I being too paranoid? Is pressure treated wood okay to use in the brooder?

2. kurt s

kurt s Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Southern Maine
    No, the chemicals are toxic.

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

You are not being paranoid. PT wood is not as toxic as it was 20 years ago, but still toxic. Chicks will peck anything and they could peck splinters off with their sharp little beaks and eat them.

Case in point: My chickens are 17 weeks old, have a huge coop and run, plus they have the run of two acres, half woods, all day long. What do they choose to peck at and eat and fight over??? I have an old garden shed with Masonite siding which has delaminated close to the ground and has peeling paint. They were pecking off the loose siding/paint and eating it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by