Pressure Treated Wood?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fleurdujour, Jul 16, 2010.

1. fleurdujour

fleurdujour Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Can I use pressure treated wood for a roost? I have a couple of long "log type" pieces that ate flat on top and bottom that my DH used for my raised bed gardens....they would be perfect if they are safe for chickens.....

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    How old are they - the posts not the chickens [​IMG]
    Uptil about 5 years ago they used copper arsenate which is very toxic, since then I'm pretty sure they use less toxic copper based substances (i.e. without the arsenic). You might need to check at a lumber yard for your area.

There's a difference in color but I can't remember if it used to be greeny-blue was the arsenic based one and now they are bluey-green or it's the other way round so don't go based on the color unless someone else tells you with confidence.

If they are very new they will still be 'damp', I think it takes about two months exposure for them to be 'dry' enough to paint without using special 'pressure treated wood paints' and you should paint them because it keeps the preservative inside the wood.

If in doubt, I wouldn't use them.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Why take the risk? Chickens spend a lot of time sitting on those roosts; the chemicals in treated wood could irritate their feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by